Moderation

I don’t really like posters being banned either, but as far as I’m concerned this guy is just a gimmick. If he wants to sign up under his regular name, the one that people here know him as, he can try again without the trolling imo.

WAR’s post is correct, but I don’t think it fits the nature of this community’s standards for mods to snap-ban people who do color inside the ratified rules in an abrasive fashion.

Community needs to grow some balls and ban him now there’s a large majority in favour.

Fucking hand-wringing liberals.

4 Likes

Triceratops seems well past the point of being interesting, imo

Time to ban?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

It’s done.

4 Likes

Triceratops is only posting in one thread right? He’s posting now about covid and not going into the main covid thread to troll people. Trivially easy to ignore. Also, he has conceded points at times and seems to be doing at least some good faith.

He’s only in one thread so I don’t even notice him.

1 Like

Actually, I’ll change my vote to no, on the premise that he is truly contained. If he ventures out of containment, then I think it should be ban.

1 Like

willing to vote Yes for any of these if someone/anyone can articulate what exactly the rule violation is.

clearly containment isn’t the answer if the poster in question is in a thread that the complainer likes to read and they refuse to just ignore the offender bc we’re all entitled to have every post in a thread not trigger or troll.

You can change your vote for real, not just in a post.

1 Like

@ zarapochka has never been interesting. @ zarapochka has been the most abusive poster in UnStuck, and it’s not even close. @ zarapochka is just a despicable troll who puts her <2c in every thread… and never engages in good faith. She is simply abusive spam, and nothing more.

• Ban @ zarapochka
  • Do not ban

0 voters

1 Like

I think the anachro banning was a well done process. It was thoughtful, spanned a fair amount of time, and I think he was clearly the biggest troll on the forum. It’s good that we have shown we can take action collectively on this.

But, please, let’s not go nuts on this.

9 Likes

Thanks - did not realize that.

I think given the repeated polling and discussions in this thread, it’s hardly “snap” at this point.

I also believe it’s more important to moderate a community by values rather than strict rules, and if someone is trying to piss everyone off as much as possible while staying within the rules, moderators shouldn’t act like their hands are tied. It doesn’t take many trolls to ruin a community, especially if they figure out ways to do it while technically remaining inside the rules.

4 Likes

This happened a lot:

Regular pol poster to a troll: You’re a fucking idiot!

Troll: That post reminds me of something a gol-darned not very intelligent person once said.

Regular pol poster banned for personal attack.

Just fyi on the mobile app, everything always shows up on the front page. The default view is “latest“

1 Like

I see. Thanks

It’s not a process at all, it’s a lynching. A process would be something like this:

Someone makes a particularized and public complaint against a poster that asks for banning, and also links this complaint in a representative post report to the mods. The accused can mount a defense if they so desire. The mods investigate, and make their decision. If the decision is “ban”, the accused may then appeal to the community at large, and would need 50%+1 to overturn the banning.

OTOH, there is nothing “official” about any of the various bad poster threads in the various forums. A random straw poll buried inside any random bad poster thread is hardly actionable. This is simply a lynching by the self anointed “cool kids”.

Agree. I understand the desire to ban him. His posting is dishonest and moronic. As long as he is contained it‘s really easy to avoid him though. That’s why I abstained instead of no despite usually being for early and pro-active banning posters who drag down the quality of the forum even if they don’t explicitly break any rules. It‘s been only a week or so. If he keeps it up we can still ban him.

Everything you suggest either happened or was given a chance to happen. Anachron has been given the chance to defend himself but hasn’t bothered. He knows what he’s doing.