Moderation

I think it’s evidence that most people here don’t like banning/containment until it’s absolutely necessary and prefer that people use the decent ignore function or the scroll wheel.

If the community had complied with the demand to ban NBZ we’d be denied the pleasure of his weird and wonderful living in a van thread and some insightful posts as well.

8 Likes

Figured I’d post here rather than clog the Covid thread, but @nunnehi you’re being an asshole to spidercrab for no reason, including insulting his professional abilities. Again.

You’ve been posting SDI stuff for weeks, spidercrab asks a totally normal question: what do you think SDI predicts, and what evidence do you have that it is predictive. You fly off the handle while at the same time not providing any evidence beyond saying you made some private predictions that ended up being correct.

8 Likes

You’ll know when he’s being condescending.

3 Likes

Should we have a thread for hashing out stuff like this that’s not the moderation thread? I don’t think Nun should be moderated for that post, but pointing out that he’s being an asshole in that thread will result in 400 posts of unreadable nonsense in the middle of our most useful thread.

2 Likes

cuse suggested he would put together a compendenunnehi-um thread to contain his own derails. Maybe there would be appropriate to call him out on particular situations like this?

I think a thread dedicated to resolving grievances with one particular poster may be a bit much tho lol. Maybe we could start a thread titled “Attempts to Publicly Resolve Grievances (permabans are coming)”

Spidercrab did the thing that always starts this nonsense. He made a good faith post lightly challenging nunn.

2 Likes

I thought “this thread is an unreal dumpster fire” was pretty much for that

A good point. I’d forgotten about that thread.

Which was then mischaracterized into some sort of an attack, which it clearly was not, and things went from there. Nunn takes any criticism of his ideas and views as a personal attack.

I am actually okay with his descriptions if I see them in the same way as I see anyone else’s experience. They’re sharing their perception and experience of a situation or person. It’s okay that nunnehi is having an experience of the situation that no one else is having. A lot of us are.

I get sort of lost though in the prognostication of one person’s experience as an objective truth instead of a dialogue on the value of each person’s subjective experience. This is less about nunn and more about people in general. I wish it were easier for people to explore and manifest the other person’s perspective–no matter how different from their own–without feeling like they have to adopt that perspective as their own, or that it in some way threatens the validity of their own experience.

But it’s real easy instead to get caught up in defending our perspective vs theirs with facts, as though trying to establish our experience as an objective truth.

A conversation with another person about how our actions impact that person is going to by default be well served by forgetting facts and just exploring whatever the person experiences, be that straightforward and easily empathized with or irrational and barely comprehensible.

1 Like

There’s a poll from ~yesterday asking just this Q: Moderation - #2188 by Sabo.

As I post this 46% of the 13 voters say “yes”… 54% do not.

People should be free to make threads on whatever they want. Moderation is for deciding when those threads need be closed, merged into existing threads, or retitled and repurposed.

Instead of talking about whether we should have a thread like that, if anyone thinks we do, they should just start it and see how the forum reacts.

3 Likes

What if I just want to casually remark on the topic wherever it comes up…

Bully cuse into starting one?

Fair enough

Nothing started though. Nun gave no insults and took a shot about his giant posts.

1 Like

Based on how many likes catface’s post got I don’t think everyone agrees with you.

I must be reading different posts then because i saw no insults from nun and one at his giant posts.

2 Likes

He repeatedly called spidercrab a liar, insinuated that treated his students poorly, and wrote like 20 paragraphs over two posts NONE of which responded to the question of “what evidence do you have that this is useful”. It’s just a completely disproportionate response to valid questions.

If I posted the response with zero context, you would instantly know who wrote it. He is the only person on this site who reacts to criticism in that way. I have honestly read maybe 10 of his posts in the last few months because I just can’t be bothered to read very long posts where I don’t really understand the point being made, but was wondering the same thing as spider for the last few weeks re: what the hell SDI is or what it’s useful for.

4 Likes

Missed the student thing. Still came after he took a shot which no one seems to mind. If people are going to insist on no insults from him, there should be none to him.

1 Like