Miami High Rise Collapse

HOW DARE YOU MAKE REGULATION A POLITICAL MATTER!

With the sea water rising this is likely not the last imo. Places will ignore it until things like this happen.

So much this. Florida (or at least Miami) has whole sections that are literally sinking into the ground and regulators will react to each weekly disaster with surprisedpikachu.jpg and thoughts & prayers.

How exactly do you fix this if you find out the rebar is severely rusted? From what I read if only one column gives way that’s enough to cause this entire collapse. So it’s not like you can just replace the column w/o also propping up the entire building. I think they have to somehow use outside supports around the column?

No matter what it’s a massive job.

Going to be some cheap condos in Florida soon, do your research retirees…

2 Likes
11 Likes

Counterpoint:

3 Likes

“But we still demand to be cheaply insured!”

Those are the same people that went back to work in the 2nd tower after the 1st one was hit.

IMNAE but I was involved in a construction project where the concrete guy used rebar #3 when the plans called for rebar #5, which is bigger/stronger. It was new construction on a 7 story mixed used building. They didn’t discover it until 6 stories were built. The engineers brought in to fix it added support columns in the basement parking garage to shore it up for additional support, losing a bunch of revenue generating parking spaces. Needless to say folks were less than pleased but a fix was implemented.

2 Likes

Ben Shapiro has the solution

7 Likes

So, Champlain Tower South is America’s Grenfell.

Investigation gonna turn up a shitload of cheap parts, building violations, and no upkeep.

1 Like

To be fair, do these residents really have much to fear if their buildings don’t have similar flooding and rotting issues?

It’s not like the problems in the collapsed building weren’t known to the residents long before the collapse.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Shapiro’s voice before, it’s about 110% of what I would have guessed.

5 Likes

Same design same materials same developers. Probably same representative that said the other was fine recently. I’d be gone.

2 Likes

in this case, though, the people responsible for the upkeep are the residents themselves, as they own the units. The condo board certainly knew about the maintenance issues and chose to downplay them because maintenance levies are extremely unpopular with the voters.

2 Likes

When buildings are built are there maintenance and upkeep schedules for the structural integrity.

yes and people love to cut corners on those schedules and the normal association fees won’t be enough for a huge overhaul that would be needed when you’ve been cutting corners for 40 years.

5 Likes

Money launderers. They buy but don’t live there. The empty buildings collapse. Insurance companies pay off. Insurance rates rise. Housing prices go up. Everybody who matters wins.

5 Likes

Is there anything more American than kicking the can down the road so somebody other than you has to deal with the consequences?

6 Likes