Miami High Rise Collapse

They were told to go back in. Sucks so bad for those people. I always think of that - just in case I’m ever in a similar spot and my gut is telling me to run while I’m being officially directed into danger.

If someone crashes a plane into a building next door, I’m calling it a day. But I know a lot of people that worked there were hyper competitive so they went back to their offices. I personally would have gotten the fuck out of there.

2 Likes

I think it was more about a mass evacuation not contributing to the chaos on the ground. Which makes sense on one level.

1 Like

Oh boy. You need to hear him read the lyrics to WAP. Seriously.

2 Likes

I got ya, boo

2 Likes

“Medical discharge”

Also

“Critical Prolapse”

1 Like

Him being sampled by RA in this remix is goat imo. I’ve shared it elsewhere on the site.

1 Like

Never forget that deplorables trot him out as the smart one. This is the face of the vanguard of conservative thought you’re looking at right right here.

Yes, this. It’ll be nigh impossible to sell right now but somehow someone will want to rent it I’m sure because the risk will technically be low. Doesn’t mean you have to live there and damn if i would.

Or more Floridian.

The sad irony here is that, at least in Florida, the HOAs have ALL the power, courts have consistently ruled this way, all they have to do is what’s best for the building and that’s what would happen but people’s personal interests still somehow keep it from happening.

Hell maybe in this real estate climate it might even sell but as a buyer would you trust an inspection report out of this building department? As a lender would you?

https://twitter.com/IanKarmel/status/1270142572757803008

11 Likes

Owners of units in a Florida oceanfront condo building that collapsed with deadly consequences were just days away from a deadline to start making steep payments toward more than $9 million in major repairs that had been recommended nearly three years earlier.

That cost estimate, from the Morabito Consultants engineering firm in 2018, meant owners at Champlain Towers South were facing payments of anywhere from $80,000 for a one-bedroom unit to $330,000 or so for a penthouse, to be paid all at once or in installments. Their first deadline was July 1.

article here says each unit would be facing a bill from anywhere between $80k-330k. You can see why they were putting it off, that’s a lotta money! It’s enough to make me never want to own a condo.

and it’s really easy to see how conflicts of interests would arise during this. why would an 80 year old or someone who is planning on selling in a year want to pay a $150k bill for something that probably won’t even increase their property value when they can just vote to put it off for the next people who own that unit?

3 Likes

That’s spooky. I’ve probably watched too much Twilight Zone.

1 Like

In all the projects I’ve worked on over the years, keeping water from getting places water isn’t supposed to be is like 95% of the workload. Whenever you are building something, you do FMEA’s (failure mode effects and analysis) to figure out how things are likely to fail, what the risk is, and then how you are going to reduce the risk. Water intrusion is always very high on the list of failures.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Sarmiento said she tried to alert the residents about the danger, but after a while, she thought they were exaggerating because they thought “things like that don’t happen in America.”

I think that’s supposed to read “they thought she was exaggerating”.