META: NBZ re-reads old meta and asks questions (ignore if you don't care about meta)

I’m heading out of town tomorrow and this stuff is easier to do on my desktop, so whatever I post between now and tomorrow afternoon will probably be it for excerpts from old threads for a couple of weeks, but I might have more thoughts based on what I have posted so far.

1 Like

Genuinely sorry you are so unloved

Damn you’ll be missed

Some descriptions of forum history. It may shed some light on people’s motivations.

Here’s a post that might accurately capture what some people want. Some people mainly want a safe space free from right-wing talking points. They want protection from straight-up right-wing positions such as COVID denial. They also don’t want to deal with posters who resemble Tulsi Gabbard and push positions that seem crafted to help Republicans by hurting Democrats.

DUCY mentioned the kipindotnet forum so I checked my email to see if I still had my login, and noticed some old post report emails from when I was a mod of BBV4L. The second screenshot is apparently a report of some gentleman posting pictures of his penis.

1 Like

More on dog-piling:

This appears to be how WN handled dog-piling on bahbahmickey:

It’s kinda super duper important to me to still point out the whole fiction of ‘devolving into stormfront’. I’ve trolled stormfront before. They don’t let you mercilessly dunk on nazis until they leave the forum.

Would you describe Stormfront moderation as more lax than here?

Things changed when there was moderation, as in, Chezlaw protecting the nazis from getting dunked on.

{cough}

To be specific we had already chased off the biggest ones and those left were the cut-rate bottom-shelf deplorables, but still.

There’s a bunch of posts on how to troll the new 2+2 politics forum vs withholding interaction that I’m not going to go into because I don’t want it to be a focal point of this thread, but it’s out there for people who still have access to Exiled if people want to look and see if there are any parallels to now.

Lol in a few senses perhaps, if you ignore the fundamental premise that their whole forum is hyperdeplorable obv. But from a relative frame of reference perspective:

A whole lot of forum friction would be smoothed out if people realized that a “dunk” and a “dunk attempt” are two wildly different things. One big component is that a successful dunk has substance.

Overall I’d say no though, but also because it is/was a much bigger forum. And because it’s technically an on-topic forum.

Also “than here” has a big “it depends (on when)” tacked on. It’s hard to pick just one but @SenorKeeed getting reprimanded and ban-threatened for rooting against USA#1 in an international world cup thread, yeah, that’s up there in the Wat Am I Even Reading power rankings.

Other times like now, no. It’s fine.

1 Like

But not even Solomon, in all his glory, was so arrayed as one of these!

You all look so impressive, any one of you could be king of pain.

5 Likes

Come on now. You know rooting against USA#1 is only one step down from treason.

“Oh, and Wookie got unceremoniously demodded for no reason.”

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that there might have been a reason.

This is a concern. One reason to have multiple moderators is so that other people have access to things not see-able by the common user and verify that such things are being characterized properly. This is also why I want offending posts quoted for posterity in the mod log.

There’s discussion of the WVUskinsfan/amichele mess. Brandi and bayareabeast are also mentioned in discussing this.

Some people don’t want to discuss such things, others think it’s no big deal.

Is this a problem for moderation to handle?

There’s at least one vote for the idea that people who don’t want to read that shit should leave rather than have the content modded.