META: NBZ re-reads old meta and asks questions (ignore if you don't care about meta)

I’m going to reread old meta stuff, starting with exiledpolitics, with an eye towards wasting my time drafting completely new moderation rules. (Why, yes, I might just re-read all of About Unstuck.) If you don’t care about this subject, don’t read.

@jalfrezi Do you still believe in the use of containment as you did with respect to forumwithdrawn?

Is containment of perceived bad posters a reasonable option?
  • Yes
  • No, just permaban then
  • No, neither containment nor permanent bans are the answer
0 voters

At exiled, kerowo banned chezlaw on sight after he (or someone with that user name) made one post. At least one mod was “extremely uncomfortable with preemptively banning people in general” and the mods overturned the ban on a 3-2 vote.

An immediate ban of chezlaw was a good idea
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Neither agree nor disagree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree
0 voters
2 Likes

anthropological scholar nbz

2 Likes

The stuff really does make for a good read but the problem is so many posters deleting their accounts (from ‘both sides’ and neutrals), that it’s almost impossible to piece together stuff if you didn’t already know it.

And ExiledP is now closed. You’re seeing that because you’re a member there but a bunch of accounts were banned recently. Which, um, you know, let’s put a pin in that one lol.

1 Like

I’ll take that into consideration and try to post screen caps.

Going back over this stuff allows people with better memories than mine to fill in some blanks, but I’m also not trying to do a history so much as fish out interesting concepts that might be worth revisiting.

Makes sense. JohnnyTruant deleted his account here but all his Pre-Drama posts are there.

Only good can come from this. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It means I’ll have less time to post poker strategy.

3 Likes

Someone linked to The Football Guys political forum which has since been closed.

The site owner said that he wanted Grantland-style discourse, but it became too big of a task to manage. The forum, not just politics, was actually a net loss for their fantasy football business, but he loved the community aspect. He just felt the political forum has become a place where each side felt not just anger but contempt towards the other.

1 Like

Containment depends who gets to make containment decisions.

incredible

No idea what the offshoot forum is.

But do you think it is a reasonable option to have in the moderation toolbox, given reasonable people making moderation decisions?

lol remember when people wanted to have a forum podcast?

Not unilaterally. It’s far better than a ban since there is at least a hope of remedy, but many perfectly reasonable people have been shown to make poor moderation decisions independently.

I can’t really say without the context

but certainly my views about moderation have changed over the past 45 months, mainly due to the Unique Posting Experience here at UP and how moderation and the threat of it have been and are frequently used to bully and intimidate people based on nothing more than personal feelings.

I did vote against an early ban poll for you and zara that was put up for no apparent reason other than the poll creator (cuse) didn’t agree with your posts, if I remember, and again campaigned against containment of another poster petitioned by the same poster (cuse).

Bit of a pattern developing, in hindsight.

I unironically believe this.

Has ZZ changed or is that consistent with:

If I were to come up with a moderation scheme that includes containment, I would want it to be ratified by community vote. Maybe enough reasonable people can independently make a poor community moderation decision on containment to form a majority, but I don’t think there is any form of moderation that prevents 100% of poor moderation decisions.

It’s not consistent but, well, there’s pre-pandemic and there’s post-pandemic.

My metrics show that poor moderation decisions are great for community engagement

5 Likes

Does containment mean discussion contained to a thread, or a poster? Both? It depends?

I’ve pretty much voluntarily contained myself to the AM thread and uh, we know how that’s went. I mean srsly, I wasn’t lying when I said this is the only thing that interests me, but, I’ve still been conscious of not posting anything anywhere the rare times the spirit moved me to post about cooking a good steak (?), so as to not get these dudes worked up. And they still haaaate me lol.