META: NBZ re-reads old meta and asks questions (ignore if you don't care about meta)

Should posting on poor taste be moderated?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Only if it’s excessive
  • I don’t know

0 voters

I’m thinking of how they’ve been used on 2+2, where a “bad poster” was contained as an alternative to outright banning them.

I think there’s a role for mods to prune existing threads and create new ones for derails to make the forum more organized and readable.

You won’t get universal agreement on a politics forum on who the “bad” posters are, and a mod making a decision to moderate someone they believe is a “bad” poster will likely only inflame things.

Yeah, I think Cactus got contained and that thread just looked like an invite for the usual suspects to mob pile on.

I never posted in the Cactus containment thread as didn’t feel right to imprison a user.

Didn’t mikelovesorgies (RIP) get contained here once too? He’s probably on SPE these days.

I’ve posted about how moderation is a form of politics and should mirror how we do things in the real world. I’ve been categorically opposed to moderator term limits because I think they’re bad IRL, for example.

One of the principles that I think most of us agree on here is transparency in government. Sunshine laws require government to be done out in the open. I’ve pushed for logging moderation decisions, with a preference for logging too much rather than not enough. One reason is to create a little bit of a barrier to mod action; if it’s not worth the effort to log, then maybe it’s not worth doing.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Doing this for UP at this point is like showing up to a fire after the house burnt down.

The issue are too fundamental to be resolved with moderation rules and theres too much bad history here now.

“Community ownership” of this site was a fundamental and (maybe eventually) fatal flaw IMO. Not that “community ownership” cant work, but it cant work in a community where many members have completely different viewpoints about what what a forum should be. Hopefully the splintered communities have a better chance as they are have much more aligned membership on that front.

Yeah that’s what i was asking lol because i realized I didn’t actually know.

Oh so like “Poster von Baddingdonshire’s thread” and he is only allowed to post there, and if people want to interact with him they have to go to that thread.

I think we should have a moderation decision-making process that requires input from the wider community, if not directly than in some form of appeal. I don’t think the forum can or should operate on having universal agreement for all moderation decisions.

1 Like

I’m inclined to believe people might want to pick through the rubble to see if any personally valuable heirlooms and other sentimental objects are in tact and salvageable but I don’t know. Maybe you just buy new stuff because none of that shit ever actually mattered.

You cant vote the problems away in UP because voting based systems require the losing side to accept legitimacy of a close lost vote. That never happened here and certainly isnt going to happen going forward.

3 Likes

I read this more from the OP as an effort to actually change policy on UP going forward rather than a lessons learned/retrospective type analysis.

I had a recent exchange with Cactus in the Cooking Good Food thread, where I made the effort to educate him about food labels. I think many posters would have given up on him much sooner, but I persisted and got through to him.

In some ways, a containment thread is as much about containing the pile-on as it is containing the poster.

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a satisfactory answer from you about how to handle pile-ons under the assumption that some people just won’t change and will continue to post that way.

This is partly for my own education. I use this forum sometimes as a sort of a focus group, a smaller political ecosystem that I can use to learn things about how the wider world works. Yes, I do post provocative things, not like some edgelord just trying to cause chaos but rather as someone who wants to know how people react. I suppose it’s dehumanizing that I treat this place like an ant farm, but that’s what I do.

1 Like

I think one problem is that some of those close votes were done in a way where I would question their legitimacy.

Maybe posters participating in piles ons are exercising bad posting and too many examples should see them banished from any containment thread. Containing them will inevitably sanction harsh posts as that user has been contained for a reason felt justified by the mods

How would you handle it if there were no containment threads?

I think you’re right but both those things naturally go together without much friction.

I would like to change policy on UP, but that’s not my only reason for looking at this.

1 Like