META: NBZ re-reads old meta and asks questions (ignore if you don't care about meta)

Because I wanted to show an example of the differences in values that undermined this community right from the beginning. You want to be able to chat with Chezlaw here. A sizeable group of people had dealt with Chezlaw as moderator doing the exact things that you hate and viewed him as one of the reasons why we ended up here/why 2+2 politics failed.

How do you propose reconciling those views in a single community? Wasnt the vote to ban chezlaw on site pretty overwhelming?

1 Like

I asked this a couple times in the main AM thread, only NBZ alluded to usenet, but:

Everybody has always said “moderated like every forum on the internet” but nobody has ever gave a specific example, so could somebody?

If we’re looking at 2p2, the old P forum didn’t come close to this. {Censored}'s OOT did, and that was an elaborate joke. I’d bet all the money (obv there’s no way to quantify it) that this forum, after factoring in the all the variables, has been one of the most heavily modded forums in the history of the internet. Everybody just boiled frogged themselves to various degrees.

2 Likes

Ooo but lemme guess you’re gonna talk down to people right?

1 Like

Politics was always moderated pretty heavily, you dont think so? Im also thinking about the late politics/unchained forum which had lots of moderation drama.

Its funny you asked this because I was going to ask if anyone had been part of a successful lightly moderated forum that would also fit in with 2020 era progressivism (like OOT of the mid 00s an obvious and complete no go) and what made it successful/not devolve into a cesspool and how the forum/community treated political subjects.

EDIT: Even the more usually lightly moderated forums Ive been on that relied more on community standards ultimately had some sort of end boss/founder who eventually would come in from on high eventually when the situation escalated.

If it’s so unimportant why in the fuck do you need mods and rules at all!?!?!?!

That’s always been the big thorn in the side of all this, and quite frankly it’s an argumentative tactic you should grow out of by the time you’re double-digit age:

“I’m gonna do a thing I want to do, but you don’t want me to do, but what’s the big deal why do you care it doesn’t even matter?”

“If it doesn’t matter why do you so badly feel the want and need to do it that doesn’t make any sense!”

3 Likes

I suggest they put him on ignore, much as you do in a pub when someone you don’t like starts talking to you and you quickly switch to talking to someone else.

I probably had more negative dealings with him as mod of P7 than anyone you’re referring to, by the way, including some furious rows. I’m not arguing in favour of him being here but I’d be against others deciding for me that I’m not allowed to chat with him, if that makes sense. It’s fascism.

Right, but when like 60% of the community or w/e disagrees now what?

If your point is that “well thats not how I view a community owned forum”, then you are sort of making my point.

I’m curious if how many forums outside of here, twoplustwo, and anywhere adjacent?

There are certainly forums out there which have zero tolerance for off-topic posting. Some places require posts to go through a moderation queue and be approved to be posted. (I don’t want to out my participation in a few boards where this happens.) If you read the Discourse support forum, there are admins asking for help in implementing restrictions greater than what we have here.

A forum with 60% fascists or proud non-reading fascist enablers who can’t use the ignore button is only going to end badly whether it’s over chezlaw, another poster or some issue or other.

Thats my point! You view banning chezlaw as facist. Most of the community viewed admitting him here as you would view giving Cuse an invite to NMNM. I dont see a way to reconciling that difference through transparent governance rules.

Fascism is a subset of authoritarianism. Not all authoritarianism (if that is what this is) is fascism. What makes this fascism rather than non-fascist authoritarianism?

That’s a false equivalence. Cuse would be unable to accept NMNM principles of a) no moderation and b) mutual respect of differences, and would be vetoed. If you want in to the village (not saying he would want in) don’t have a long history of running around villages trying to expel people.

Chezlaw would I think be quite able to accept UP principles as they’re fundamentally the same as 2+2 if harsher in practice.

Thats your opinion. The majority of the community saw it differently. Some would view that as saying the community has decided. You would view it as a form of fascist oppression.

Sure. You know it’s not unknown for fascists to win elections, right?

1 Like

[x] dictatorial leader
[x] attacks on minority groups (othering)
[x] forcible suppression of opposition

Pretty sure it’s the user now known as Beetlejuice, they’re the only one I remember with the “DO NOT CONGRATULATE” status.

Really just an excuse to do a “That’s fascism”

5 Likes

No cap I love nbz threads. Makes up for that time you vaguely threatened me (re: meta)

1 Like

yup especially as I’d actually said the above.

But nice meme, that’s what matters.