META: About Unstuck splintering into SPE

The new site has chosen to hide the identity of its mods and admin with Orwellian secrecy, so if you’re going to post there make sure you encrypt your PMs.

Seems like a great place if you’re interested in the combined wisdom of gfy, cuse, Jman and BS.

Yes, I’m sure the admins and mods will insist on total anonymity.

100% guarantee you’ll be there.

1 Like

If your concern was really how this site was modded due to several peoples historic involvement here (which I still think is fair) why would you care at all what happens at the other site? Nobody has any investment there. If you start attacking it endlessly it will be hard to maintain your position that this hasn’t all been a troll campaign.

2 Likes

ok bud

Only if there’s a French Laundry - Driving Past The Homeless And Other Grotesquely Ostentatious Ways To Showcase Your Wealth thread.

Mind you, some of the Individual Economics aka Look How Much I Suck, Everyone! thread was also pretty good entertainment.

If you want to stick it to the new site, the best revenge would be to make the sort of substantive political posts that they want over there over here and claim that their absence encourages such posts.

9 Likes

I don’t need revenge for anything - I’m very glad those people have gone to their own centrist paradise.

2 Likes

Why do you care?

Because of years of discussions about moderation and transparency maybe?

Bye!

I’ve managed to avoid and mostly ignore all of the drama here over the past two years. It’s a shame that it led to the departure of some quality community members. UP has been the single most valuable website for news aggregation and discussion through some of the most strange years of our country. From the Trump administration, to COVID, to the insurrection, the collective knowledge here has made understanding all aspects of current events so much easier and more enjoyable. Add in the non politics discussions and this really has been a uniquely awesome forum.

I joined the new site, and plan to stay here as well. I just want to be wherever that same level of quality discussion can be found. I appreciate everyone who has put in work to make UP what it is, and will have the same appreciation for those who do that with SPE.

Tldr can’t we all just get along and laugh at GOP stupidity

32 Likes

I couldn’t have said this better.

2 Likes

I dont get this line of reasoning. The sole purpose of SPE is to create UP with permabans to anyone the group of jman, CW, jmakin and goofy want to. Which of course includes Jal.

If you treat him as a real human then it should be obvious why he cares.

The new site has the admin of UP and mods. In fact remember that any mod that actively resisted their ideas was cast off (you, econophile), but it still wasn’t enough because they couldn’t have the only say on permabans.

It’s exactly the same as UP except the power is now officially in the hands of the few users who always asserted they should own UP. How do you think an argument like the one you had with CW would go over in a site that rightfully owned by him?

I enjoy UP and in fact it kept me somewhat sane during a rough time as an expat. It was a place i didn’t feel like a lower class citizen. Sad to see it go because almost complete control wasn’t enough.

11 Likes

Hm, what do you think happens if someone asks who the mods are?

I like interacting with people who are different from me rather than living in a segregated echo chamber.

Someone who may be impersonating you has registered over on this new site, FYI.

1 Like

I think there has been a combination of certain posters who are legitimate trolls and others who are arguing from a meta-political position of good faith that they want governance of the forum to resemble how they think government should work in real life. And there are people on the other side who conflate the two as a way of justifying their preferred outcome.

Inter-forum wars could be interesting as a model for how to do political protest. Or not.

2 Likes