Merrick Garland: What would you say you do here?

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1549826196719935488?s=20&t=Fg8vQ-qdVQy0HvVyDoUHzw

1 Like

Just look at that stupid face. What a loser.

2 Likes

lol I was just going to post that and ask if it gave you more or less confidence that he’s doing his job. I guess the answer is no

Lol, he’s not going to indict trump, but he is going to indict Hunter Biden:

I mean unless you think Garland is pulling a Tumpian gas lighting of the American people, do we give him the benefit of the doubt? These cases always work from the bottom up. The DOJ tries not leak unless it’s advantageous to do so. He has always said he will follow the evidence wherever it leads and hold ALL accountable

So what are we to think? That he’s lying? A coward? Incompetent? What does he have to gain by not doing his job?

1 Like

I’m ok if DoJ wants to bothsides things by giving the right-wing lunatics Hunter Biden in exchange for indicting Trump…lol, who am I kidding

I won’t believe it until I see an actual indictment is handed down, until then it’s all performative theater.

1 Like

I think he’s a coward and just not up for this. When he says, “we have to get this right” I can smell his fear. I think he’s so terrified of fucking this up that he’s essentially stalling to avoid the end game of a Trump investigation, and I think he dreams of times passed and hopes if this drags out forever it’ll just kind of dissolve into some sort of fondly-remembered (and bullshit) “regular” world of politics. Just him slightly bristling at the question and answering as he has before doesn’t make me ignore that there are no clear signs he’s leading anything approaching a properly aggressive investigation of Trump and the top brass. Craven.

EDIT: Did anyone ask if they’ve had any success getting E. Jean Carrol’s case against Trump tossed?

1 Like

What has Garland done to demonstrate he deserves the benefit of the doubt?

Why not all three? Really.

He gains safety of knowing Trump and the Republican party won’t come after him. Maybe like Gerald Ford he’ll just say moving on and putting this episode behind us is what’s best for America or some bullshit. Maybe he really believes it because when you’re a coward, your brain can rationalize your behavior with faulty logic like that.

2 Likes

It’s a generational thing. Career democrats over the age of 60 just aren’t up for this moment. Period.

1 Like

I think there’s a part of him that asks “what would Republicans do if the situations were reversed” and his instinct is to do something different to prove them wrong. He doesn’t want a very aggressive investigation because Republicans would push a partisan, aggressive investigation and a part of him wants to prove that is the wrong approach.

1 Like

That’s a reasonable take , the part i stumble over is:

He knew this was gonna roll this way, so why take the job if your too afraid to do it?

Gonna ruin his reputaion for a salary?

He is polarized here, either leading the bestest mostest secret investigation ever or he’s in on it.

1 Like

There is absolutely zero indication there is a large scale investigation happening. DOJ openly admits they didn’t even try to uncover the stuff the committee has discovered.

1 Like

He cleared out the seat that Ketanji Brown Jackson filled, so he helped her build her resume for a Supreme Court seat. We do want old judges to give up their seat to younger judges, right?

I don’t agree that he necessarily thought it all was going to roll this way. He probably envisioned prosecuting all the beered-up J6 violent slobs at the Capitol and then doing some superficial investigation (like the FBI’s laughable, abbreviated investigation of Kavanaugh) into Trump and his circle, resulting in some kind of “he acted inappropriately, but not illegally, the US moved on by not electing him, that shows the country works as it should, let’s all move on as a better country” rah rah LAW statement

1 Like

What could he be in on? The coup?

I agree he could be scared and not up to the job. I’m just hoping that isn’t the case. I mean, he’s not wrong in that they gotta get it right. Can you imagine taking the unprecedented stop of indicting a former president and losing the case? Or having it get tossed on some technicality? These investigations take time. They go thru a bottom up process in order to turn people. I think we’re all still shell shocked from Mueller being a dud. If Garland turns out to be one too, then the worst people possible get elected and appointed to these positions

What do they even need to investigate? They’ve got handwritten notes and phone records and sworn statements incriminating Trump already! Just file the goddamn charges or get off the pot.

1 Like

Lawbro responds:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/defense-justice-department

1 Like

Maybe we shouldn’t trust Republicans at all ever, even the best of them since their judgement has been proven to be objectively terrible. He’s probably confused and doesn’t know better. He probably inherited a bunch of Barr’s people under him who he didn’t bother to fire.

The one hour recorded phone call to Raffensperger seems about as slam dunk as it gets. You could’ve practically started an investigation into that immediately. We’re not questioning whether she has the balls to do her job, are we?

I know nothing about prosecuting, but if I’m Garland I can see waiting. I’d want to learn what Fani Willis and the J6 committee came up with before I commit. There’s no urgent time deadline that he’s under. What harm comes from being extraordinarily careful (except that you have to listen to people like us criticize you)?