Merrick Garland: What would you say you do here?

Yada yada yada

We want blood.

anything new or is this just “steve bannon still walking around without any conseuences”?

Nothing new, just feeling frustrated and wanted to vent.

It’s not just Bannon, but apparent lack of any justice dept. action on anyone but the footsoldiers.

right but Bannon is the canary, the guy hadn’t been working in the white house for years, he has zero legitimate claim to protection under executive privilege even if trump could assert it, if Garland doesn’t go after him he’s not going after anyone.

Agree completely, thats why i am frustrated.

Give the pos a chance to save the country he claimed did so much for him, and he is gonna choke.

Any chance Biden replaces him?

Unless he’s just colluding with the republicans, why wouldn’t he appoint a special prosecutor and put the heat on someon else?

It’s best to make peace with the absolute certainty that there will be zero accountability for anyone.

2 Likes

Not Sucking.

1 Like

Eh, I’ll believe it when he’s under arrest.

2 Likes

Sucking slightly less.

1 Like

I’m not overly optimistic, but it’s my understanding that no one has ever been indicted for contempt of congress while asserting executive privilege before. It’s possible the DOJ had to do some extra research to ensure the contempt charges would stick

has anyone ever tried asserting executive privilege when they didn’t actually have that privilege before?

Nixon gave it a shot.

I assume the way this plays out is Bannon claims exec privilege, Harvard lawbros argue for months over whether he can do that, and SCOTUS decides 5-4 that Bannon doesn’t have to say anything because of muh executive privilege.

Added wrinkle that this is a criminal case so in order to actually be convicted all 12 members of the jury have to not be totally confused by executive privilege.

Does the jury actually decide that part? I would have assumed that whether executive privilege applies or not is up to the judge.

Nixon was actually the executive when he tried whatever you’re thinking of

Sure, but even then he still didn’t have the ability to invoke executive privilege over all of his conversations. Or at least that’s what the SCOTUS decided.

right, but what I’m saying is in the general sense he did have the ability to assert executive privilege.

trump does not

I’m not following this whole thing that closely, but I was under the impression that he was trying to assert privilege over conversations that he had while he was still president. Is he trying to assert privilege over conversations that he had after Biden became president?

The jury isn’t going to make the legal determination, no, but I have a feeling it’ll creep into the defense in some fashion, as some sort of defense as to intent or something. Then all the defense needs to do is confuse the hell out of the jury.

The privilege belongs to the office. The purpose of the privilege is to allow the president to do his job unimpeded. The idea that the privilege applies to an ex-president because reasons is patently absurd. Trump doesn’t need the privilege right now becuase he’s not the president.