Master3004's Upbeat Walrus - Reveal!

In 12th place - Scoring 4 (3,3,3) Jalfezeri - China Girl by David Bowie.

I know, Bowie this low is slightly sacrilege, but man it just doesn’t make me want to get up and dance. Overall just way too slow and plodding. The solo was fine, but not long or strong enough to score very well.

which guitar God did Bowie have in to do the solo on this one? was Stevie Ray Vaughan

In 11th place - Scoring 5 (4,2,4. -1 for recognizability. 9 Total) Suzzer - She’s Gone by Hall and Oates

Solo is fine, but incredibly short. Starts around 2:50, and for how slow the song starts, it really picks up after the first verse and gets the legs moving a bit.

1 Like

I guess this one belongs in the previous group as well.

In 10th place - Scoring 6 (4,3,6 - 13 total) Cassette - The Wagon by Dinosaur Jr.

I know a lot of Dinosaur Jr. songs start off like this, but its always really jarring to me when a song just breaks into lyrics with absolutely no buildup. Overall, this is pretty whiny and just a mild leg mover. I almost got my hips into it, but nothing doing. The song does pickup a little bit about 2 minutes in, but by then I was pretty checked out. The guitar solo is much hotter than the 5 songs that came before it, hence the higher score there. But overall, it was not something I can say I particularly enjoyed during the entire song.

1 Like

From here we see a big jump in score. The next three songs score 18, so it really comes down to what I’m feeling overall.

In 9th Place, scoring 7 (6,6,7. - 1 for recognizability.) Mimosa - That Lady by The Isley Brothers.

Now here we go. Full hip movement and everything. I love me some funk guitar, and there are some incredible funky riffs in this song. This may be a tad controversial, but overall the solo is just a bit long, and with no other singing after it hits feels more like a capper than a pure solo.

1 Like

Holy balls I may finish with a negative score

2 Likes

In 8th place, scoring 8 (5,7,7. - 1 for recognizability) Pauwl - Communication Breakdown by Led Zepplin

A little less movement than some of the others but still at hip level. One of Zep’s better known songs, but the solo is hot and funky and I really got into it. A little air guitar at the desk never hurt anyone, right?

3 Likes

In 7th place - Scoring 9 (7,6,6. -1 for recognizability) JohnnyTruant - Magic Man by Heart

Quick confession: I LOVE women fronted rock groups, and it is really really tough to find someone better at the genre than Ann Wilson.

Nancy brings it hard in this song too with her solo.

Heart played at Thunder Valley outside of Sacramento last summer and they still brought it super hard. For a lady who is almost 70, she still has an absolutely killer voice.

Anyway, I moved, I grooved, I air guitared. Solid entry.

4 Likes

I’m technically dead-last this category for those that ‘understood’ the question lmao

if you’ve never seen their performance of Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center honors you’ve missed one of the greatest live covers ever

In 6th place - Scoring 10 (7,7,6. - 1 for recognizability - 19 Total) Skydiver8 - Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

Got ten minutes? Watch this.

Ain’t nothing wrong with this. I can always get on board with DS and love to dance to their stuff. For such a weird sounding guy, he has an amazing ability to get people to move along. Solo is nice, but falls a little flat honestly compared to some of the stuff up ahead.

4 Likes

And technically, Nancy isn’t the lead guitarist, her boyfriend was, until she started dating the drummer. Not that she couldn’t manage it, I’ve just never seen her solo in their live renditions.

1 Like

Sounds familiar, but I will 100% check it out when I finish revealing here.

In 5th place Scoring 11 (7,4,10 - 1 for recognizability - 20 total) Twist - The Thrill is Gone by BB King

At first, I thought this was going to score on the moveability scale, but man, BB gets in your blood.

Ladies and gentlemen, the King and his Axe have the floor. Nobody touches the man on his solo.

1 Like

In 4th Place, Scoring 12 (9,4,8 - 21 total) 6ix - Digital Love by Daft Punk

Sick, sick solo about 3.5 minutes in. I got a huge smile on my face when it kicked in. Nothing but full body movement to this song from moment 1.

3 Likes

Podium Time!

2 Likes

In 3rd Place - Scoring 13 (7,8,8 - 22 Total) King of NY - Roll On by The Living End.

So much fun, just a non stop fun song. Solo is good but criminaly short. Give me another 15-30 seconds of this and the song moves up a spot.

1 Like

In 2nd Place - Scoring 14 (7,7,9 +1 for New) Spinetta - Dreams by Leaders of the Shift.

Never heard this before but immediately added them to my Spotify playlist. What a cool song. The last solo REALLY brings it and deserves to be just a point shy of The King.

5 Likes

I am starting to wonder if Master3004 even got my submission.

3 Likes