Master3004's Upbeat Walrus - Reveal!

Zomg?

Yes.

Zomg

6 Likes

Welcome everyone to my Walrus reveal. We will be starting soon. Please take your seats.

Basic Walrus rules apply with the following caveats.

Very slight nods and nudges are given to stuff I haven’t hear before or are less mainstream. For the most part, I love mainstream music so there won’t be many points docked for things I have heard before.

I have tried to break things down into a more scientific way of doing things, so each category has its own set of points that can be earned based on the category. Since the overall goal of the walrus was to get me moving and give me something upbeat, a score for how much things get me to move will be included in every category

1. A song with a killer guitar solo (points awarded based on move score, rock score, and crunchiness score.)

2. A cover song (Move score, Deviation from original score)

3. A Filthy song (Move score, Filthiness score)

4. A live song where the lead singer allows the crowd to sing a portion during (Move score, Audience participation score, ability to understand lyrics score)

5. A song that really really really tempts me to sing along with it despite the fact that I’m in a crowded office. (Move score, Tempt Score)

6. A comedy song (Move Score, Overall humor score, Total laugh score)

7. A 70’s song (Move score, overall spirit of the 70’s score)

I’ve ranked these on a scale of 1-10 and then totaled for the category and ranked according to that scale (with some caveats thrown in that will come up as we reveal) Ties will be broken according to my overall enjoyment.

1 Like

Here for my in n out walrus:

Pretty sure about 4 of my submissions would’ve scored higher on the guitar solo round than the song I chose for the guitar solo. Having seen the scoring system I’m doubly sure.

1 Like

I hope headbanging counts toward move score

1 Like

Category 1:

A song with a killer guitar solo somewhere included.

So, this category turned out to be a bit more odd that I expected. I figured we would be in for a majority of big rock songs, and that just isn’t the way it turned out. We also have our first instance of a couple entries missing the point of the category entirely (this happens once or twice more throughout the reveal.)

So what would I have chosen for this category?

I’ve always said the two things in life I would sell my soul to the devil for would be Chris Cornell’s voice and Tom Morello’s guitar skills.

This is probably one of Rage’s lesser known songs off of Battle of Los Angeles, but Morello’s solo at around 2 minutes really epitomizes what I was looking for in the category. Something strong, reckless, and experimental. Obviously not every great guitar player takes the chances that Morello does, but the solo is sick and goes along with a really groove song that makes me want to move.

oh boy.

Ooops, forgot to add Skydiver to my notes. 1 sec.

the real question is…of the two versions of the song I sent, which one you choose to use for scoring. (god I hope it’s the live version, and that you don’t hold my wishy-washyness against me)

1 Like

So I missed Skydiver’s resubmission on number 1 - and of course it’s ten minutes long :stuck_out_tongue:

Please to be continuing holding for reveal.

2 Likes

Good job, skydiver.

I have to be afk for about 45 minutes so give her submission a good 4-5 listens. She deserves it.

3 Likes

Alright - all entries for round 1 are locked.

Lets do this!

2 Likes

lol

Will be sweating while at dinner with friends. Let’s go go go!

2 Likes

First, the two entries that kind of missed the point that I was going for here. When I mentioned that I want a song WITH a guitar solo contained within, I was implying that I want a song along with my guitar solo, and not a song that is entirely a guitar solo.

An instrumental does not a guitar solo make.

In 15th place - Scoring 1 point: (Move score 1, Rock score 1, solo score 3. -2 for missed category: Total 3 points) Pyantinski with Tic Tocative by Bert and John

This is - fine. For what it is. And what it is not is a killer guitar solo contained within a song. Melody is fine but, man, all this makes me want to do is sit in a wicker chair and groove, not to get up and move.

In 14th place - scoring 2 points (2,4,3. -2 for missed category. 7 total) Smrk4 - Technical Difficulties by Racer X Paul Gilbert

Much more in line with what I am looking for music wise, but still not something that really wants to get me out of my seat and move all that much. It sounds like someone trying to create a really difficult Guitar Hero level, like I would see it being played by Jason Paradise or something. And see above regarding instrumentals v. solos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf6c6elgxmk/?hl=en

The next group of songs are great, timeless classics with some decent guitar solos that just didn’t make me want to move all that much.

All three of these scored a 9 total, so Ill start with the one with the lowest move score.

In 13th place - scoring 3 (2,3,5. -1 for recognizability - 9 total) Rivaldo - Harden my Heart by Quarterflash.

Pretty great solo around 2 minutes in, but short overall. I love the song, but its not a mover. Just some light toe tapping. Complimentary style points for a video featuring daft punk helmets 20 years before they were cool.

2 Likes

I’m gonna harden my heart. I’m gonna swallow my tears. I’m gonna turn and leave you hoo hoo here

5 Likes