Major League Baseball (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Major League Baseball (Part 1) - #10500.

Previous discussions:

1 Like

That includes shortstop. That’s why 1B starts at -12.5 runs per 162. Shortstop gets +7.5 default. That’s a 20 run differential for league average players between positions, and then it’s further adjusted against their peers by RAA. So that’s about 2 WAR of defensive value difference baked into those positions. Not only was 2007 Pujols not worth -12.5 runs, he was worth +13.1 runs according to Fangraphs! That means the defense he provided at 1B in 2007 was worth more than the defense provided by league average 2B, 3B, and SS combined. It’s just that 2007 was the only once-in-a-billion year because he couldn’t replicate it again for some reason.

The point I’m making is that the data is flawed. A normal baseline positional adjustment for a qualified 1B is always gonna be in the -10 to -12 range depending on how many innings they took at 1B. You can see it below in the last column (remember 2001-2003 don’t since count he played 3B/OF). The “fielding” column is the adjustment on top of positional that adjusts him above (or below) average fielding for the position.

Posts 1.7 RAA in 2005 then an otherworldly 24.5 RAA two years later and then quickly reverts back. It’s obviously not based on ability or any true measure of performance. A deeper dive into these numbers shows that most of the value is coming from range, so then what is the conclusion exactly? Albert Pujols had all time elite unicorn range at 1B in 2007 but not in 2005, and not in 2009 or any year thereafter? It’s logically impossible and indicates some kind of flaw in the data or coding (things you’re supposed to check before publishing data and claiming that they mean something).

I should have pointed out that these insane outlier defensive value seasons aren’t particular to Pujols. They’re fairly common which implies that the way they’re scoring this stuff makes no sense. The “unlikely” plays that give you elite range are basically dice rolls, and so it’s virtually guaranteed that a few players run insanely hot on them in any given year.

1 Like

That makes sense

safe at THIRD

1 Like

I wish they would have let wainwright take whatever Pujols and Ortiz got to take their final years.

thought id try a doordash, stoned to the b-jebus belt lmao oh Lord, why thouest punish

I’m just a stupid, stoned man.

I don’t mind doing the time :vince1:

lol aaron boone. it was a strike, but i appreciate the performance

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1688739069633716225

wow Freddy Peralta has figured it out again. good for him

oh and Strider got lit up. weird

Aw man, Brewers pitchers were one batter away from a perfect game. Solo HR second batter of the game and that’s it.

Popeye’s?

4 runs given up in the 9th and closer yanked by the all in Angels. Took a 1 run lead into the 9th

ohtani doubled, singled and stole a base

and the angels closer gives up 4 in the ninth only getting one out and the giants probably will score more runs in the inning

I don’t think ohtani’s staying guys just a hunch

Now 5 runs in the 9th. Still only one out

If Ohtani drives up the freeway right now and puts on the blue uniform, who says no?

1 Like

I mean, it has to be one of the worst GM decisions of the modern era. They could have done a rebuild almost entirely on the return they would have gotten by trading him

raises hand fuck the Doyers

6 in the ninth now with an rbi by a player the Angels probably could have gotten in an Ohtani trade.

Kind of a long drive to Seattle.

2 Likes