Major League Baseball (Part 1)

What else did he do besides Dodgers? I know of his prominence but Im honestly hazy on memory.

I mean I know its not the same but Haray Caray was pretty fricking memorable.

“Nyge Yton” comes to the plate.

Zero chance that Tatis goes yard here.

Frick off announcers. Put the absolute jinx on Tatis there.

He did a lot of national broadcasts. Most famous one is probably Game 6 of the 1986 Series.

Also called football, I believe he called the 49ers/Cowboys NFC title game that had The Catch.

1 Like

Im not sure that scheduling the Dodgers game during NBA finals game 1 is the bestest idea

3 Likes

He also called the perfect game thrown by Billy Chapel

3 Likes

People outside of STL might not know this but Mike Shildt is the real deal.

Vin Scully is a deplorable and that makes me sad.

1 Like

He started doing football before the Brooklyn Dodgers hired him. In the 1970s and 80s he did NFL for CBS (he called D.Clark’s “The Catch”) and national MLB for CBS and NBC.

In baseball he famously worked alone. Back in the day, when the Dodgers were in a pennant race, he’d call the other teams broadcast booth and listen to their game over the phone… and do pitch by pitch of the Dodgers game while seamlessly working in play-by-play of the other game. Baseball is famous for having having quirk plays that haven’t happened since… Skully would know that shit as it happened live. Always. It was earie. The only one close that I’ve noticed was now also retired ESPN announcer Dave Campbell… who called Skully the GOAT and a mentor.

Skully was always worth putting on the radio and muting the tv. He was a unique talent we’ll never see again. Nobody else was even close to being in the same league. His peers acknowledge his preeminence. What they just mentioned on the Padres game as I was typing this: so many peeps wanted to hear “Vinney” call the game, that they’d bring radios to the game, and it was like the broadcast was coming organically out of the very pores of Dodger Stadium.

He also changed sports broadcasting fundamentally.

Team broadcasters are not journalists. They work for the team, and part of their job is to promote the team. Before Skully, broadcasters were ubiquitously “homers”. Like if it was poring down rain, they’d say “lot’s of seats available, clear skies at the ballpark!”. Skully changed the industry in all sports by his policy of always acting like a journalist.

So they started the indians yankees game 50 min late only to play 1 inning in the rain and go back to delay?

That is terrible base running.

1 Like

Yes. The announcers are apparently gonna write a book about it.

The one sounds like a king of the hill character.

MLB has this crazy idea that the sweet spot for them is a buncha games on simultaneously with peeps switching back and forth between them. This is because that’s what they believe is what makes the NCAA “March Madness” popular. They’ve had this bizarre fixation for a generation now.

1. When they added the third (“division”) wildcard round, they scheduled it all simultaneously. They also specifically said it was inspired by the NCAA. They backed off of this after ~2 years.

2. They’ve done this, and to an extent still do, with their weekend exclusive windows (the olden days “game of the week”).

3. About ~5 years ago they started doing this shit on closing day.

4. This season. Playoffs and regular season.

1 Like

TIL Molina is the greatest baseball player of all time and it’s not even close.

The Padres have been cursed since the fool owners ran O.Smith out of town and to St.Louis (and Cooperstown).

1 Like

As a Cardinal fan this made me LOL.

Stats are probably not hall of fame worthy. But he is borderline. Catchers value are hard to quantify IMO.

Give your dog my apologies for rooting for them. Same shit different day. Of course Cards sneak in and Pads top 2 starters go down in a 3 game series.

1 Like

I refuse to watch any video that has a doug polk with chin hair wannabe on the cover.

1 Like