Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Blake Snell has to be the worst name in sports. Kid def got his ass kicked growing up.

Would have been a cool twist in covid league baseball. Seeing players hop over the railings, which are usually short, and grab a foul ball.

I would argue that losing to the cheater Astros is worse, but I’m not a Twins fan and don’t know the rivalry history

In this exact moment losing to the cheaters is awful, I was trying to do this thing my therapist calls self-soothing :grinning:

My dad raised me the right way–to despise the Yankees. I assume all fathers who root for small market teams that play in the AL raise their children the same way.

A decade after I’d moved away from the frozen tundra that is Minnesota, I went back and my younger cousin told me he had become a Yankee fan. It was the only time I regretted not being closer to family so that I could have saved him.

1 Like

fyp

I mean, did you see that shit ranking I posted above?

1 Like

What’s still on the rule book is using a line or rope to bound the field of play. IIRC there are still small lined out-of-bounds areas near some MLB dugouts. Historically, there have been large foul lined out-of-bounds areas down the lines, often containing on field bull pens or grounds keeping gear.

What’s also still rules on the book regarding a line or rope in fair territory bounding the OF. If the MLB owners had any style, they would have set up the aborted “Field of Dreams” neutral site game this way and without OF fences.

This was usually used to accommodate overflow crowds. The reason some of the old-school stadiums had terraced outfields (“hills”) was to facilitate viewing from these roped off areas (not just stupid gimmick like “Tal’s Hill” was at Minute Maid… whose only purpose was to cause injuries). There’s still a rule on the books that says balls hit into or over roped off area less than 250 ft are doubles not HRs.

If the let me play ballpark architect I’d bring this back (over 325 ft, so HRs would be legitimate HRs).

ETA: two ways to integrate this idea in. (1) a short (~20 ft) section down one of the foul lines with a line instead of a fence. This would lead to the umps doing replays on catches down the line like they do in the NFL. Ground balls that weren’t cut off would be ground rule doubles if they crossed over the line.

(2) Have a short (~4’) chain-link-style removable fence 325+ between a terraced lawn seating section and a section of the outfield. Way out at the back of the lawn seating section there is a (~8 ft) nominal fence. When in use, it’d have the look-and-feel of having fans on the field fenced off in front of the nominal way out field.

But… have a grounds rule that states if =both= teams request, the 4’ fence will be removed, the lawn field section emptied, and they’ll play with up the terraced lawn seating section in play up to the way far out normally nominal 8’ fence. It would actually be played like that for exhibitions.

1 Like

Yeah I did. All my midwest family and friends tend to live in AL markets, and now that I’ve been in San Diego for 20 years it’s all NL and Padres fans hating on the Doyers and Giants. So, I wasn’t sure if NL small market fans had the Yankee hatred schooling.

I think it’s mostly due to lack of coverage and constantly seeing the national media slobbering all over the Yankees every year, no matter how shit they are, and overlooking incredible performances elsewhere.

Ive always wondered what if you threw your glove into the air and hit the ball and caught it?

All rise, Judge bomb, Yankees 2-0

The East coast + Big market bias was especially awful when we could only get highlights by watching Sportscenter. I have no love for any team from NY or Boston. Zero.

Big Papi played for the Twins first. We couldn’t resign him because we couldn’t afford to throw a few million at him.

My extended family who are Cleveland fans had to watch fan favorite CC Sabathia go to NYY and beat them for a decade. Just brutal.

1 Like

yes, this. argh. I mean, for most of that time the Reds were terrible anyway, but even when they did something cool they’d get no love.

2010-2012 springs to mind.

1 Like

Thing about AL and NL Central pitchers is that those were really weak hitting divisions. So that means the numbers are overstated a bit since they only played against each other and not the AL/NL East and West.

1 Like

Complaining about the national media east coast/west coast bias is such a Cardinal fan thing to do.

As a wise relative of mine posted on social media commenting on Cardinal fans bitching about World Series announcers:

“Tim Mcarver doesn’t hate the Cardinals and even if he did who gives a shit”

Ironically both announcers had ties to STL (Joe buck)

I did that as one of my rules trivia above. It’s been tried, as jest, against Ba.Bonds on some of his orbit shots into McCovey Cove.

The batter gets three bases, all runners get home. The ball is live, and the batter can try for home at his risk.

If the ball isn’t leaving the park, it’s better for the fielder’s team if he misses. That’s the same except it’s two bases not three.

I’ll try to end my Yankee/Big market hate-filled rant soon…but the thing is, I barely consider Yankee fans to really be fans. They’ve never experienced the depths of pain. True pain. The kind where your team loses in the playoffs to a team who’s best players used to play for your team.

1 Like

Exorbitant free agent contracts started in mlb via Steinbrenner.

The Yankees have “bought” their rings more so than team in any sport in US history.

Im not sure what would be second in this regard. John Wooden/UCLA maybe?

2 Likes

Yankee fans have never experienced a (running) 17-game postseason losing streak, nor a (all recent) 2-16 playoff record -vs- the most annoying MLB team ever AINEC.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m doing this instead of the debate

So how about those Rays huh

1 Like