Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Brewers getting close to making the playoffs with a losing record.

EDIT: And would be without their best SP and likely another solid SP for the first round.

Cards in lololololololol

so Both the Brewers and the Astros are in with losing records. yay 16-team playoff…

Looks like the Reds and Twins will be closing out the 2020 regular season as they are in the 10th inning now and everyone else is finished.

The Brewers hitting is as bad as I’ve ever seen any team. It’s so so so bad. The pitching got them in. They actually would’ve had a shot in a 3-game series against the Dodgers with Burnes and Woodruff, but Burnes is out.

1 Like

yeah, that’s the same reason I kind of wanted to fall to 8th…the Reds 1-2-3 against the Dodgers would have done well, I think.

What a disgraceful umpiring performance in the Giants game this afternoon. Doesnt excuse that they only needed to win one of their final three and didnt, but a Giants/Dodgers first round would have been MUCH more interesting than Brewers/Dodgers.

Oh well.

About a week ago it looked like MLB would luckbox no losing teams, and had a good shot at all winners. There’s no way this isn’t permanent, welp.

Finally, the 1981 Royals (50-53 .485) aren’t only luser in the playoffs anymore, and the Astros (29-31 .483) and Brewers are now tied for worst.

Also… the Mariners set the record for the least games at home (24), breaking the record of the 1878 Milwaukee Brewers (25, no connection to today’s Brewers).

1994 strike cost us an all timer, a very tight race in the AL west where the rangers were leading the division at 52-62

I’ve said that I didn’t want the first Brewers championship to be in this dumb season, but now that they are in the playoffs with a losing record, I kind of want it to happen.

Seems like a bad deal for the #1 seed to have to play a 3-game series against the 8 seed. Higher variance helps the bad team. Oh well. Probably a good thing for the Jays that they lost today and didn’t squeak past the Yankees.

Agreed. That’s why I actually had a slight semblance of hope that the Brewers could beat the Dodgers, since the Brewers have two #1-type starters and two great closers. I mean, scoring a run would be difficult for them, but before Burnes went down, I felt there was at least a tiny chance.

I forgot about that one. Saved by the strike!

It’s too bad the Brewers couldn’t eek out another win. That would have left the cheatin’ Astros as the only luser in the playoffs. I think it would have been poetic justice for them to only team in the playoffs who shouldn’t be there.

I got Rays over Braves in WS.

Hard for me to look past the winner of the Padres-Dodgers series. And I don’t trust the Dodgers bullpen.

Losing records? The Marlins have a -41 run differential and are playing as the 6 seed.

2 Likes

Just like FBS conference realignment, this season’s segregated schedule snapped a lot of consecutive years played streaks. Considering that the NL is the world’s longest running sports league, some go back a long ways.

MLB Year Streaks from the 1800s and 1900s

Since live ?? dead See
1874 1 Braves-Cubs in NA #1
1883 1 4 Giants, Phillies expansion
1884 1 Dodgers expansion in AA #2
1887 1 3 Pirates AA to NL
1889 1 Dodgers-Giants in ancient WS #3
1890 3 2 4 Dodgers, Reds AA to NL
1892 3 2 2 Cards AA to NL
1894 6 4 Five AL in minors #4
1901 5 4 8 AL inaugerated
1961 3 14 Angels, Rangers expansion
1962 2 6 Mets expansion #5
1969 11 2 17 Nationals, Padres, Royals exp. #6
1976 6 4 13 Blue Jays, Mariners expansion
1993 9 3 10 Marlins, Rockies expansion
1997 7 Interleague play
1998 13 7 20 D’backs, Rays exp.; Brewers to NL
Note: This by franchise (not markets). Current name used unless noted. Numbered notes from above…
  1. The Braves and Cubs were both inaugural members of proto-major National Association (1871). The Cubs then took a two year hiatus because of the Chicago Fire. They resumed play in 1874, and both were inaugural members of the NL (1876).

2. The Dodgers-Reds streak was kept alive because both moved to the NL in the same season (1890).

3. The Dodgers won the 1889 AA Pennant, and faced the NL Pennant winner Giants in, what at the time was called the “World Series”, and now is often called the “Ancient World Series”. The Giants won that series six games to three.

The very next season, 1890, the Dodgers jumped to the NL and won the NL Pennant. The jump kept the Dodgers-Giants streak alive. They tied that Ancient World Series vs the AA (later NL, now defunct) Louisville Colonels 3-3-1.

1. The minor Western League was rebooted in 1894. Teams included the Sioux City Cornhuskers (White Sox), Milwaukee Brewers (Orioles), Grand Rapid Rustlers (Indians), Kansas City Blues (Twins) and Detroit Tigers.

Sioux City moved to St.Paul in 1895, then Chicago in 1900. Grand Rapids moved to St.Joseph to start the 1897 season, then moved halfway through to Omaha; they moved to Columbus to start the 1898 season, then moved halfway through to Cleveland.

The Western League changed their name to the AL in 1900. For 1901 the old west league occupied the east: Kansas City moved to Washington, new teams were created in Baltimore, Boston, and Philadelphia… and the AL “went major”.

AFAIK only the White Sox claim any part of their minor league heritage. If you’ve ever seen “White Sox, established 1900” gear, and figured that they’re a buncha fools because the AL dates from 1901… now you know.

1. The cheatin’ luser Astros don’t have any streak over seven years. It’s like nobody wants to hang out with them. LOL @ Astros !!!1!

2. For the Brewers, only the Twins streak survives from 1969.

I may be the only Twins fan here, but I hope we can all agree that the Astros deserve to get beat down in every post season for the foreseeable future. How the H-town cheaters were allowed to keep their hardware and not be suspended for multiple seasons is beyond me.

3 Likes

Thanks for that last series :grin:

I’m still mad the Astros even made it. They need to lose badly

3 Likes

[quote=“Sabo, post:67, topic:1475”]

• #3. What’s the least number of outs in an inning?
  • #4. What’s the least number of batters in a full inning?
  • #5. What happens if the batter due up is on base?
  • #6. What’s the most number of outs that can be made in an inning?
  • #12. There’s a few… name a football like penalty in baseball.
  • #14. What happens if both managers refuse to announce their lineup first?
  • #18. Can a baseball team score on defense?
  • #20. What happens if a fly ball never comes down?
  • #21 New Playoff Bonus. How many SB in an inning without scoring a run?

Way back on May 15th, when it looked like KBO was what we were getting for baseball the season, I posted a buncha baseball rules trivia Qs. Well… for the sake of completeness, and because there’s still ~2 hours left to wait for the playoffs… I’ll give folks one last swing, then I’ll start posting As.

IIRC I never answered the ones above. Maybe I did #17 and 20? The other Qs and As are above ITT. Be warned: the “darkside” of the rule book is in play.

And… oh yea. There’s four playoff games today, all scheduled to overlap each other. WTF BBQ !!!1!