Major League Baseball (Part 1)

11 Likes

Let’s put WS Champs into perspective.

There have been 113 champs in the current markets (1903, 1905-1991, 1995-2019)…

Rank Market Champs Last Rank
1 New York 35 2009 8
2 St.Louis 11 2011 7
3 Boston 10 2018 2
4 San Francisco 7 2014 6
Philadelphia 7 2008 9
6 Chicago 6 2016 4
Los Angeles 6 2002 11
8 Cincinnati 5 1990 15
Pittsburgh 5 1979 18
10 Detroit 4 1984 16
11 Baltimore 3 1983 17
12 Washington 2 2019 1
Kansas City 2 2015 5
Miami 2 2003 10
Minneapolis 2 1991 14
Cleveland 2 1948 20
17 Houston 1 2017 3
Phoenix 1 2001 12
Atlanta 1 1995 13
Milwaukee 1 1957 19
21 Buffalo never (2020) 21
Tampa never (1998) 22
Denver never (1993) 23
Seattle never (1976*) 24
Dallas never (1971) 25
San Diego never (1969) 26

ETA: * Seattle also had a team in 1969.

1 Like

Reds fan* reporting. Wagered under their win total for the nth straight year, and going to barely scrape under 32.5.

*Cincy born, fan all my life until I lost all allegiance to wagering. 84yo mom still enjoys having them on, so I’ll root for more games.

1 Like

Yeah, I could never get into sports betting seriously because I could never give up my Reds fandom. Bengals would probably be easier, but I’d still be internally cheering for them and it would probably affect my wagering.

That didn’t stop Pete Rose. :grinning:

3 Likes

lol, that exact line crossed my mind when I was posting.

I guess I could bet on the NBA, because I legitimately don’t give a fuck about it and have no team or player loyalty whatsoever. Closest to me growing up was the Cavs (lol) or the Pacers (LMAO!!!), and no one was a fan of either of them. It’s all about college ball in Cincinnati.

1 Like

What about (non-gambling) fantasy? At some point most super-fans desire an objective viewpoint of the sport… which you also have to have to pick winners or win at fantasy. How else can you execrate the GM for bad trades and drafts?

I used to run into this situation almost daily. What’s the rooting priority: action -vs- fantasy points -vs- favorite team? LOL the action, of course

ETA: P.Rose, besides being a dirtbag, was a luser. The reason he got caught gambling was because his bookie snitched him out for non-payment.

1 Like

I do fantasy football, but baseball is too much of a commitment. The ultimate driver for everything in my life is laziness, and fantasy baseball is just, whew, too much.

But I pay pretty close attention to the MLB in general anyway, especially when the Reds suck, so I don’t feel I’m missing out there.

1 Like

With his Padres locked into the #4 seed, what is Sabo the dog rooting for?

He’s hoping things play out such that the Card’s two missing games matter, and they have to go to Detroit on Monday to play a (7-inning) doubleheader. Hopefully the Card’s will burn their starters, and the extra travel will take it’s toll.

1 Like

depending on how things play out, there’s still a chance you play the Reds instead. It’s amazing how fluid it is with only 2 (or four, lol cards) games left to play.

Is your dog named after Chris Sabo? And your both Pads fan right.

Reds legend Chris Sabo, you mean

Yes, I understand that goggles played for the Reds. Hence the confusion. You’re expecting me to address him with “legend?”

This reminds me of the time when I nerded out hard and kept all the offensive stats of my players in Bases Loaded.

Anyone remember the awesome hack in that game?

Mariners about to mercy rule the A’s. One out in the third and 13 have come to the plate. Holy shit. Whoops. I guess the R in the bottom corner stands for replay.

No, Sabo is named after Sabo-Tabby, the famous cartoon cat. The name is pronounced as in the word “Sabotage”, not as in the proper name “Sabo”.

Sabo-Tabby is usually depicted as above, a scrawny little black cat. I don’t care for cats, so I got me a scruffy little black dog instead. It’s a strong name for dog in it’s own right. For those who get the reference, I’ve yet to have anyone not exclaim what a cool and apt name it is.

Sabo and me are both San Diegans.

When I sprung him from the pound, he made it clear who his team is. When his Pads were on tv he’d always settle down to enjoy the game… and if I didn’t have it on, I’d be getting that cold wet nose nudge in the elbow until I did. I took him down to see the T.Gwynn Sr statue… and he had found his shrine. Then I took him to dog day at Petco… and he had so much fun he’s now gone to 50+ games in 20 stadiums around the country. I’m sure I don’t need to add he has Padres gear too.

I’m the Red Sox (yes, the dead sox) fan in the house.

3 Likes

Alex Gordon is retiring. Huge homer in game 1 of the 2015 WS. Might’ve changed everything for that series. Mentions Votto in this video.

Gordon’s alive!!

Oh yeah, the takeaways from the linked post above…

• The median number of WS champs per market is TWO (2). This means, if your city has only won two WS… that’s par for course. You have nothing to complain about. This means if your city has won three or more, and you’re complaining about not getting your share… you are a whiny-ass fool. STFU.

• The median number of years from the last WS championship is 27. Four and a half above median is 12. Four and a half below median is 37. This means if your city won a WS between 1983 and 2008… you are smack dap in the middle of the distribution, and you got nothing to complain about. If your city has won a WS since 2009, and you’re complaining about not winning in so long… you are a whiny-ass fool. STFU.

• My Red Sox… Boston is #3 in championships, and #2 in recentness. You’ll never hear me complain.

• My new Cubs… Chicago is #6 in championships, and #4 in recentness. Ditto.

• Sabo’s Padres… San Diego has the longest streak of never winning a WS. Sabo has every right to complain. But he doesn’t. Ever. It’s just not his style.

• Sabo’s new Reds… Cincinnati is #8 in championships, well above the median. Cincinnati is #15 in recentness, just three years below median. Once again, absolutely nothing to complain about… and Sabo doesn’t.

• The hated Yankees… The next announcer who whines “ZOMG, The Yankees haven’t won WS since 2009, ZOMG” deserves to get the T.Brennaman treatment. New York City isn’t due another WS championship until the year 2525.

• The hated Dodgers… The next announcer who whines “ZOMG, The Dodgers haven’t won WS since 1988, ZOMG” deserves to get the T.Brennaman treatment too. Los Angeles won a WS championship in 2002. I don’t GAF that it was the Angels, not the Dodgers. And 1988 is only five years below median, so once again… there’s nothing to whine about anyways.

1 Like

Pads are an expansion team. What year(s) did most teams start? Im assuming way before 1960.

ETA: 1969

Is this a Jmakin call out?