Major League Baseball (Part 1)

You telling this story just raised the hair on my arms.

Saw them in St Louis one year and got Gary Templeton’s auto before the game.

Also caught them when I was living in ATL one of the years when they had Carter, McGriff, and another big stick I don’t remember. My dad and I had seats in left field a few rows off the fence. I was stoked at the idea of possibly catching a homer. Fricking rain delay. We waited 3+ hours until they finally called it.

Also gotta say this convo comes full circle with them having Tatis Jr.

1 Like

Good pitching change, Reds.

Top 8th: White Sox

R. Stephenson pitching

T. Anderson homered (391 ft.) to deep right center
Y. Grandal homered (391 ft.) to deep right
J. Abreu homered (397 ft.) to deep left center

1 Like

The most amazing thing about the owners running O.Smith out town was that we actually got an all-star quality player in return, and he went on to have a good long career.

Typical and traditional Padre owner incompetence usually meant trading THE GOAT for a literal goat. There has been no other franchise who has suffered such historically bad ownership… AINEC. You gotta wanna be a fan of this team.

The Wiz is #1 but who is the 2nd worst “one that got away?” Robbie Alomar?

McGriff was traded for Carter, so I don’t think they ever played on the same team. I remember because I was the commish of an AL only keeper Fantasy league, and this trade screwed me because I had Carter.

Dave Winfield. IDK if you could say R.Alomar was a future HOFer when that giveaway happened. Smith and Winfield were lock HOFers (unless something went terribly wrong), who were both run out of town by owners who didn’t care about that kinda shit at all.

Probably Winfield. Sheffield is up there, too, but the Padres did get Trevor Hoffman for him.

Our rule was once you had a player on your team, you could score him if he got sent to the other league. You could trade him. But if he was dropped, he was gone for everyone. IIRC that’s also the rule ESPN fantasy uses today.

ETA: actually our rule always was you could have anyone in the world on your team. You could stockpile minor leagers, or players from the other league, or actors and politicians if you want. But they couldn’t score in the other league unless they had previously scored in the correct league and hadn’t been dropped since.

Ozzie Smith and his career 87 OPS+

:smirk:

The fact that all you can do is pull stats on the guy says way more about you than Ozzie. Must be a Yanks fan.

Just where on your list of roidmongers does the Wizard fit?

I got more. Who was O.Smith’s Wally Pip?

Not in the sense he didn’t want to play. Just in the sense of being the ss before Smith.

Billy Almon was the first overall pick in the 1974 draft out of Brown. He had a “cup of tea” with the Padres in '74,'75,'76. In 1977 he won the Padres starting ss job in spring training. He didn’t get any ROY votes, but he should have. After a very solid first season, it looked like the Padres hadn’t squandered another overall #1, and Almon would be their ss for a long time.

Also in 1977, an obscure 7th round pick out of Cal Poly played their first season as a pro… at Short Season A Walla Walla. Smith easily won the Padres ss job the next spring. It was like “who is this guy ???/?”

The play I posted above was made in his 10th game in the majors… and 78th game as a pro. If you think about it that way, his fielding was all down hill the rest of his HOF career.

2 Likes

Sabo’s Padres Clinch the Playoffs !!!1!

OK, not quite the Shot Heard 'Round The World. Sabo the dog is outside barking out the news (with my permission, as he lacks yapping rights). Of course, nothing will ever top 1984. That playoff clinching night the whole city went wild. We went out celebrating… and ended up in a shot-ing war with several Padres.

So to make the playoffs the Reds need to win this series and the Cards need to lose to KC and the Phillies need to keep losing and the Giants are in there somewhere too and…

It’s more complicated than that. The Card’s and Tigers are scheduled to play two less games. But… If those games count for determining in/out of the playoffs (and not mere seeding) for any team, they’ll play a doubleheader in Detroit on Monday.

Right now 538 has Sabo’s new Reds at 82%. Look at it this way, if they finish 2-3 or worse, do they really deserve to be in the playoffs? If they finish 3-2 or better, they’re pretty close to a lock.

List of my 5 favorite teams based on basically nothing:

1. A’s. The only game I went to. Closest team to my temporary house. I like the color scheme. They seem to be pretty cool. Laureano is a boss. I watched Moneyball once.

2. Padres. They seem to kick ass and you can’t actually root for the dodgers cause they’re too good.

3. Rays. They do cool things that other teams don’t do (or copy them later). I like that. Anyone who constantly break away from tradition has a place in my quasi-radical heart.

4. Blue Jays. The US will soon be uninhabitable, so having some team to fall back on is important. I like Bo Bichette and Biggio plus the entire team is like the sons of former all stars so it has this 2014 poorly conceptualized reality tv show vibe.

5. Mariners. Not really, but both my fantasy wins this year came with Mariners stacks so gotta mention them. They run all the time which is fun plus they just put this PR image of Kyle Seager that looks like he has a prosthetic wooden arm from the 1800’s.

4 Likes

love AG

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1308213601140957190?s=20

I interrupt this thread with an important announcement. Gerrit Cole is on my team and not on your team (unless your team is my team). That is all. Well not all; still giving up too many HRs but on track for 7-3, 2.84 ERA with a comfortable sub 1.0 whip.

You think Nick Vincent is happy he went to work today?

You ain’t Michael Jordan