Major League Baseball (Part 1)

If I’m a MLB player, I’d much rather hit 30 HR’s and 120 singles than 20 HR’s and 180 singles.

30 HR’s + 120 singles = 240 bases
20 HR’s + 180 singles = 260 bases

But that 30 HR’s line will get you an extra $50 million in free agency.

yes. Nowadays.

I still kind of hate it. watching HRs is exciting, but watching strikeouts is boring. Watching someone hit for the cycle is better, but I know I’m in the minority now.

Unfortunately for fans of “little ball”, the math behind three pure outcomes (& for shifting & for changes in pitching strategy) is inescapable.

We’re seeing the same thing in football. When to go for it on 4th, when to go for the 2pt try, are all changing away from the way the game was played for decades too. The math is inescapable here too,

1 Like

I prefer games that can be won by diverse strategies, so three true outcomes convergence is generally the opposite of what I want. That said, it’s really hard to argue in favor of singles because the quality of contact to produce them is generally pretty bad. A bloop, a sharp grounder, a liner over the shortstop? Those are all poor contact with the point being that you’d never try to hit a single, right? Like, if you were trying to hit the ball, you were trying to hit it harder than that or at a better launch angle because (1) grounders are outs and hugely -EV and (2) it’s not like you’re gonna hit in the air but only enough to have it drop in perfectly for a single on purpose since, if you were that skilled, you could hit the balls into the gaps for doubles.

1 Like

The guy getting 200 hits in a season is banking too.

You don’t walk your way off the island though.

I wonder how Tony Gwynn would have fared in todays game. He could have countered the shift as well as anyone but also could have hit 30+ homers with todays juiced ball.

ZOMG T.Gwynn Sr would eat a shift for breakfast. Holding a runner on is a de-facto shift, and he hit like .400 lifetime in that situation. Put three on the right side of the infield… he’d hit like .600 going the other way. And he’d hit 50 hrs if he cared to with today’s rabbit ball.

1 Like

He would have done whatever made him the most money.

Are you confused? Sounds like you have zero idea about who Tony was.

Frick off with this comment. Stayed with the same team his entire career. Pure team player. One of the classiest acts in sports history. Taken from us way too young from cancer.

1 Like

Well sure. Because he could have done whatever it takes.

If T.Gwynn Sr played today, he’d be doing the three true outcomes thing too, Teams wouldn’t shift on him, just like they don’t shift on a majority of hitters. The young Gwynn stole a buncha bases. If he played today he wouldn’t do that either.

ETA: I’m talking on the field. Obviously he had other priorities off the field, as he could have made a whole hell of a lot more money elsewhere than in San Diego. And… later he could have made a whole hell of a lot more money milking being a HOFer than coaching his Aztecs.

2 Likes

Related to swings: “Choking up”, meaning to hold the bat higher on the handle. Batters do this more often when behind in the count especially with two strikes because it makes contact more likely.

bondschoingup

Lol wat? Fuck off.

He’s one of my favorite players. Not sure why your panties are in a twist.

“Whatever made the most money” is a shit post. Everything that Tony did and stood for was the opposite of what you’re saying. He was an enigma in this regard and was well known for it.

The fact that I even have to point this out makes your “favorite player” claim pretty dubious. But if he was then surely you can understand how someone would take issue with your post.

From one reasonable poster to another, and in the spirit of Tony, please excuse my hostility.

After Tony passed there were lawsuits. Ive seen too many conversations where he was smeared in some strange attempt at being woke.

1 Like

I was a Pads fan from 83-2000. Growing up in Arkansas I became a fan because I liked their uniforms and thought Rupert Jones had the coolest name.

I fell out of following sports in my early 20s for a bit. Even after I came back I quit on baselball. I couldn’t stand the hypocrisy of them putting select players in front of congress.

Now that they have competent ownership and the wealthiest farm system in MLB and are committed to winning I really want to jump back on the bandwagon.

I just need a die hard to suggest what would be proper penance for doing so.

How are the Reds back to .500? (26-26)
Have them under 32.5 wins and under 29.5

They’re Padres. They are forgiving by nature. Jump on aboard!

I’m sure you also know that 1983 was T.Gwynn Sr’s first full season, and 1984 was the last year the Padres wore the brown… until this season. Thank god the coolest uni color in MLB history is back! If you wanna do a penance… fly the colors!

Were you the only Padres fan in AR? Historically, they got to be just about the least popular MLB team. It’s always surprising to hear of any fans outside of the county.

1 Like

Their new unis are the fucking illest of all time and all sports.

Yeah. 1983 also being the last year that Topps cards were the best. My older brother and I “shared” our collection. Still remember the time he traded 2 Topps Tony RC’s for 1 Ryne Sandberg RC. Still haven’t buried the hatchet.

1 Like

My old man and older bro were Cardinal fans. Made for great times lemme tell ya. Especially since they traded the GOAT ss to the cards.

We still count O.Smith as one of ours. The dad of one of my buddies was one of his agents, and she told us he said Smith cried when J.Krok vilified him (“Smith was welcome to be an assistant gardener on the Kroc estate”), and R.Kroc ran him out of town.

Smith has always said the above play was his best. In less humble words… the best play in MLB history.

I was one of the 10,256 paying fans at this game. We got a really good look, as we had just “improved” our seats by sneaking onto field level, just behind 3rd… like usual. I’ve proly talked to 25k fools since who said they were there too.

2 Likes