Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Of course Alec Mills pitches a no hitter vs the Brewers while everyone watches football

4 Likes

There was no broadcast. Some papers didn’t mention it.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/KnicksMemes/status/1305622298817425408

https://twitter.com/VaIverdeSZN/status/1305619093140262922

Reds make the playoffs if it ended today.

1 Like

Yankees with 13 HRs in 18 innings and Kyle Higashioka with a triple crown. Ball is totally not juiced to stupid levels though.

3 Likes

So i wanted to check how many players had 3 HRs in a game batting 9th like our boy Kyle H here, and came across this game (perhaps its super well known) —

Art Shamsky hit 3 homeruns for the Reds vs the Pirates on August 12th, 1966.
Not only was Art batting 9th, but the reds managed to lose the game 14-11.

But the best part is not only did Shamsky bat 9th, he only came into the game as a pinch hitter in the 8th inning! He proceeded to homer in the 8th, 10th and 11th innings. Reds lost in 13 innings.

7 Likes

Sky Shamsky

Is he the only other one?

No, but he’s the first yankee to do so

But not to keep you unsatisfied, it’s the first time in history the leadoff and 9th hitter hit multiple HR’s in the same game

2 Likes

You get a dong, and you get dong…

2 Likes

Question from someone who never held a bat in his life –

Do players have different swings? Like do all players theoretically trying to hit a homerun whenever they are swinging and not bunting, or do they have a ‘trying to hit a single’ or ‘sac fly’ swing?

1 Like

Nothing to see here:

Bot 4th: Yankees

G. Torres homered (416 ft.) to deep left center

G. Stanton homered (416 ft.) to deep right

A. Hicks struck out swinging

L. Voit homered (407 ft.) to deep right center

D. LeMahieu homered (339 ft.) to right

B. Gardner homered (392 ft.) to deep right center, G. Sánchez scored

3 Likes

Ok I’m almost positive they’re cheating now. Probably some variation of what the Stros were doing.

An aaaaa bomb from aaaaa rod

They try to put the ball in play on their terms. The pitcher tries to put the ball in play on his term. A lot of times they’ll look specific pitch and swing for the fence. If 2 strikes, they just try to make contact unless you a superstar.

not really. They might be able to control their timing a bit (slightly later or earlier can produce different outcomes), but really only the very best can do this with any sort of accuracy.

As I understand all this launch angle stuff, there are definitely players swinging for the fences frequently. But when behind in counts they may get more defensive and swing for contact and “go with the pitch” opposite field, etc. Then you still have contact type hitters who are swinging for singles and doubles and it’s basically an accident when they hit a home run.

I think it’s in between what you and Matty say, although trending in your direction. Plenty of hitters used to have a different approach with two strikes - i.e. choke up and try to just make contact. Hitters also might have different approach based on the situation (hit behind guys, etc.). Now more hitters just let it rip regardless of the count and situation. That said they still do adjust.

One way to look is to compare what hitters do with on 3-0 count vs 0-2. For 2019 league wide, on 3-0 count, hitters were .410/.937/.846 (essentially they rarely swung), but when they did hit incredibly well - BABIP of .332. Average hit was a double (ISO of .436 greater than BA of .410).

For 0-2, hitters were .149/.159/.234. Obviously really bad due to all the strikeouts, but even when they made contact they didn’t do well. BABIP of .289, ISO of only .084 compared to BA of .149.

Can’t find info on contact rate on 3-0 vs 0-2, but the above shows that they were making softer contact on 0-2, which I think can only be explained by them swinging more defensively.

2 Likes

oh for sure. It’s the “3 true outcomes” debate that’s taken over the game.

Current thinking sees less value in singles than in HRs, and hitters are coached that way. I kind of hate it, tbh, but I grew up watching Pete Rose and the chippy Reds style under Sparky Anderson.

1 Like