Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Come Sunday we’ll be betting on whether the Braves outscore the Falcons.

1 Like

Assuming the Marlins fall short of a 20-run 9th inning, braves end up with just 29 runs. one less than the Rangers in 2007 who hold the modern MLB record. Still good for a franchise and NL record.

I was on a softball team in 1990 that scored 4 runs and lost by 46. I was pissed at all of the people on my team who straight up quit trying and the biggest guy on the other team wanted to beat the shit out of me. He was a giant. A big, slow, lumbering giant who was never going to catch me in a million years.

1 Like

I think Braves closed as a favorite to go over 4.5. Something between 4.5 and 5.0 so I just ran three scenarios:

Team     Runs    o28.5
Braves   4.50    2e-05
Braves   4.75    2e-05
Braves   5.00    2e-05

No idea how accurate this can possibly be in the extreme tails but it says somewhere on the order of 0.00002 which is 0.002% or 1 in 50,000. Model parameters are fitted from data within the last ten years and doesn’t include old timers in dead ball eras. Before tonight, it looks like there were only three games since 1901 with 29 or more runs scored by a single team in <= 9 innings and apparently just over 200,000 MLB games played in that span. So, math checks out?

that’s the easy part. now figure out the odds of Marlins scoring 9 runs and losing by 20.

This is the 2nd time in a week that Adam Duvall has a 3 HR game.
The only player in MLB history to post multiple 3-HR games in a shorter span of time than Duvall is Doug DeCinces, who did so for the Angels on Aug. 3 & Aug. 8, 1982.

(stolen from @MLBStats)

Oh, and even better stat.

@MLBRandomStats
Using 1871 as MLB’s start date, 29-9 is MLB’s first Scorigami (new final score) in over 20 years! Before today, the last Scorigami was on May 19, 1999 when the Reds beat the Rockies 24-12

3 Likes

lol Brewers - they thought they were going to be the highlight of the baseball day, only winning 19-0.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. Gotta give Jon Bois credit for coining the word, and doing the NFL version.

i like jon bois but also this is the most underrated video on the internets

Honestly, I’d never heard of the dude, and didn’t know he was a sports writer. I just figured he was a geeky fan. LOL @ me, I guess.

really? judging by your posts here you’d love him.

2 Likes

Sabo Bowl - · - - ·

OK, at 5:15 pdt it’s big,big,big one. Did I mention it’s huge? Right now, and after his new Reds win yesterday, the esteemed and handsome Sabo the dog has Yapping|Taunting rights over me. He can bark whenever he wants… and there’s nothing I can do about it. At the same time, I can’t taunt him at all… not even a little bit. That’s the way it’s going to be, proly until mid 2023. That’s a damn long time to suffer under such a burden.

I have only one chance to flip the script and avoid this sad fate. I need a win from my new Cubs.

Sonny Gray (5-2 3.19) -125 @ Adbert Alzolay (0-1 2.08) +115

In yesterday’s huge,huge,huge Sabo Bowl #10,110 Sabo the dog’s new Reds jumped off to a quick 3-0 lead. Then S.Gray gave up five in the 4th. My new Cubs went on to win 8-5. Which means that I have Yapping|Taunting rights over Sabo… until proly 2023 when his Padres play at Fenway. That’s an awfully long time for a dog, and he’ll be 11 then.

But… he does have some long-shot outs here…

1. His Padres and my new Cubs could hook up in a series of unprecedented playoff Sabo Bowls. This would be a rematch of the 1984 playoffs… which was the first and most iconic Padres playoff appearance of all-time. Both teams are now projected at (>99%) to make the playoffs according to 538.

2. His new Reds could have a playoffs rematch vs my new Cubs. Unfortunately his new Reds really couldn’t afford to lose this last series. Right now one game over .500 makes the playoffs. To get to one game over .500, Sabo’s new Reds would have to finish 12-4 (18% projection).

3. His new Reds could win the World Series. One of our teams winning a championship flips Yapping|Taunting rights too (<0% projection).

In theory, his Padres could also win the World Series (6% projection). However, his Padres have the worst all-time record of the 30 teams. San Diego has the longest streak of never winning a World Series. His Padres are 1-8 in their two previous appearances. Nobody… not even fanatical fan dog… is going to take this possibility seriously.

1 Like

NYPD hat on Tatanka! And he’s brutalizing the Orioles!

You’re so civilized, you get brutalized.

Giants Padres game ppd due to positive COVID test on the Giants

Ggs put the Mets in the offs

Brewers have won their last two games by a combined score of 20-0.

Just your normal 19-0 followed by 1-0.

1 Like
2 Likes
  • In The Shining, the most dangerous room in the Overlook Hotel is room 217. 2 + 17 = 19

this excerpt is wrong. it’s room 237

‘You’re scared of room 237, ain’t ya?’

In the movie, yes. Not in the book though

2 Likes