Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Wait, I thought you were supposed to take on the first pitch with a big lead and everything after that was fair game?

How about if you’re a professional athlete you don’t get to complain about a different professional athlete running up the score?

And what’s really weird is you rarely hear people make those arguments about college sports, which is where it actually makes sense to take it easy on the other side when they’re outclassed. Bama scores again to make it 59-0, or UConn women beat another team 107-46 and that’s just excellence. Tatis continues to try when up 7 runs and we try to give the next batter a brain injury.

7 Likes

it would be nice if a pitcher who throws a 95 mph fastball at a batter get arrested for aggravated assault.

1 Like

This stuff makes no sense. Baseball is not a timed game. And better stats mean more money in the future for the player.

No great comeback should ever happen because the team should strikeout on purpose to acknowledge all of the unwritten rules that the team formerly with a big lead honored.

Seven runs is also not an insurmountable lead no matter what inning it is. Also, run differential matters as a tie breaker at some point.

I think part of the disconnect between the discussion here and players’ beliefs about unwritten rules stems from the fact that fans often take the game more seriously than players. Baseball isn’t that serious; it’s more of a game than a sport, and games often have unwritten rules about etiquette, propriety, and being a good sport.

This isn’t correct.

And LOL @ there being some unwritten rule about not swinging. That’s never been a thing.

1 Like

Padres up 4-0 in the 1st inning. They better not be swinging at any pitches no more. Play the game the right way.

4 Likes

Sabo the dog, the biggest 4-leg Padres fan ever, was personally at the game where his friars blew a 12-2 lead. Baseball Reference lists this as the 22nd worst “bad beat” in MLB history. Sabo just might bite any fool who says his Padres don’t need more runs.

2 Likes

I was unlucky enough to see all 22 innings of a Padre loss once! Had premiere club tickets and was on the Jumbotron several times because so few fans were left. I just hope the Padres don’t throw their first no hitter without fans in the stands and give me no shot of being able to see it live. They’ll probably be a vaccine before the no hitter though lol

Lol Machado caught a ball in the right field corner.

That game broke the franchise record set on September 24, 1971… when Sabo dog’s Padres lost by the same 1-2 score in one less inning (21). However… the friars won the second game of the night doubleheader 5-4. My oldest friend went to these games as a child, and talked his dad into staying for all 30 innings.

Don’t worry… they’ll cure aging before Sabo’s Padres throw a no-hitter.

1 Like

Maeda has a no-no through 8!

lol i was just about to post this but wasn’t sure if it’s against baseball etiquette. Gotta post the right way.

12 strikeouts too and only 2 walks.

1 Like

gotta notify the fans!

I always liked Maeda. curious why he never seemed to go very late with the Dodgers.

rootin’ for him to complete it

crap. top of the 9th is taking forever. errr bottom of the 8th

1 Like

he’s on 113 pitches already I think, not sure if they let him stay there if he walks the first batter. it’s only 2-0 game.

This kid is taking forever to pitch and now he balks

Nostromo commercial toeing the bump horribly vessel

i did not understand a single word of this sentence, but nice squeeze bunt there.

1 Like

Perdomo the pitcher

then I thought of the Nostromo from Alien :heart: I’m baked