Major League Baseball (Part 1)

8 players with multi-HR games tonight so far in 13 games counting the two 7-inning contests. They are eventually gonna have to Tiger proof this shit. Watching meatheads connect with air or a shot that lands on the moon is sort of like tennis getting ruined by all baseliners.

Eh, serve and volley is as insufferable to watch as it is to play against

No reason to go to extremes. Can’t even come to net as an all-around player because odds of getting passed are so high. I watch these USPTA coaches and they’re training kids to spin balls back like tennis robots and nothing else. Baseball is fixing launch angles to hit fly balls and pitchers nibbling to go 5 innings on 100. I’m not saying we need to bunt runners over but 3 true outcomes is not that interesting.

Ditto on zzzzz home runs, but as long as the tennis players are hitting it in, I prefer watching and playing mostly baseline oriented tennis. The former because I have a lingering hatred for stefan edberg, the latter because I couldn’t pass a stationary ball hopper.

According to baseball-reference there have been 590 3-home run games since 1901. Over 11% of them have occurred in the last four seasons (2016-2019).

I find home runs boring, but I find the acceptance of strike out rates even worse; hey-yo strike out 6 out of 8 times but if you send the other two into the seats and your WAR becomes a STONKS.gif

That’s because a run is more valuable than an out hurts.

25% homer rate would be ridiculous tho

Teams average a run every 2 innings so every 6 outs so more often than 1/6 is valuable.

I’d rather 2 home runs in 8 at bats than 6 singles.

You trying to tell me Rafael Nadal running all over the court is more exciting than the elegant efficiency of Stefan Edberg? I don’t believe you.

This kind of thing is so fucking stupid. The rangers know they were free to forfeit in the 8th, right?

What are the odds that if they put together a 6 run rally in the 9th that they’d do the polite thing and intentionally strike out, since they expected their opponents to intentionally not score any more runs in the 8th to protect their feelings?

6 Likes

So what’s the so-called unwritte rule here? Cause surely it can’t be “don’t hit home-runs up by 7”

Yeah, but you don’t swing at a 3-0 pitch up by 7!

Edit: try to get away with that shit in STL in front of the best fans in baseball and we will run you out of town.

2 Likes

so the ethical way is to take a walk rbi and prolong the agony?

https://twitter.com/JohnnyBench_5/status/1295722256254074882

6 Likes

This seems to me so easy to calculte. Like what percentage of 3-0 pitches are strikes, compare it to a player slugging percentage or whatever. I thought they don’t swing at 3-0 cause it’s +ev not to, not because it’s tradition.

The Padres manager is trying to say it was about Tatis missing a sign but this whole “unwritten rule to take a 3-0 pitch up 6 runs” is as silly as expecting a pitcher to throw a ball way off the plate if they have an 0-2 count.

They use to think it was +EV to take a pitch 3-0.

There are still situations where it would make sense to take a pitch. Down by 3 with no one on and one of your worst hitters up to bat would be a situation where I would have the batter take a pitch.

Don’t even need to calculate. Just play baseball.

Everyone sit down. The :goat: has spoken.

1 Like

Nearly 36% of taken 3-0 pitches are called strikes compared to just over 9% of 0-2 pitches.

2 Likes