Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Ughh. Signing up for paid Apple TV now. What a scam all these carve-outs are.

It’s also the first time I’ve ever bought anything from Apple in my life. It feels… dirty and sad.

Make the best of it and enjoy some of the fantastic shows on the service.

1 Like

Not MLB, but I plan on hearing some PING tomorrow. I’m going to see some NCAA Div 1 baseball: UC Davis vs my old school UC San Diego at Triton Ballpark. It’s Triton Day (free admission).

I had thought I’ve been there before. I remember going to a game in the 1980s. Then the ball park was on the other side of the freeway from the main campus, and was down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, with nothing else in sight. I’d guess 99% of the folks on campus didn’t know the field existed. It also wasn’t a stadium, in any real sense of the word. There was only a backstop, and a couple of 4-row bleacher sections. No lights. UCSD was Div 3 back then.

It turns out today’s Triton Ballpark is about a half mile north of where the old field used to be, and is along the main access road (but still across the freeway from the main campus). In 2015 they did a major upgrade, installing real seats, dugouts, a clubhouse, and lights. UCSD moved up to Div 1 a couple of years ago. Two years ago the trolley extension was opened, and the tracks curve around the outfield on a viaduct. There is a station nearby which I’ll be using tomorrow.

I wonder if anyone has hit a “Trolley Shot” yet, or if that is even in the realm of possibility.

2 Likes

Through three innings in Detroit, the Red Sox have 3 hits. And 8 runs.

:harold:

It’s filthy, and someone on the other side is getting filthy rich, which means the equation balances out.

1 Like

I signed up for the Fubo trial given that YoutubeTV dropped MLB Network and raised its prices. So I’m watching Reds on real TV now for the first time in a while and will also get Guardians (and other sports subject to blackout). The monthly price for the base plan is $74.99, but they don’t hit you with the regional sports fee until checkout. It depends on where you’re located and how many RSNs you get access to: one is $10.99/mo, and 2+ is $13.99/mo. My early impression is that this is definitely worth it since I mostly watch live sports and local network channels. The only things it’s missing that might be concering are TNT / TBS, but allegedly those could be coming back to Fubo in 2023.

*One notable feature is that you can get MLB.TV within the Fubo app. That may not sound too interesting, but since the RSNs are included you basically get access to blackout-free MLB.TV all within the same app so you can switch to any game without changing apps.

Wat?

What I really miss is the old “go back” button.

Where you got two games you are tracking, and you can switch back-n-forth instantly with one button push. Now, I can only do that if both games I wanna watch are on the conejo, which rarely ever happens, and never does with MLB.

Walk walk walk HR is fun

Push and hold seems to work just fine for a back button? The app is smoother / faster on an Apple TV 4K than Chromecast fwiw.

Trip report to Triton Ballpark.

This is a sweet field. Although small (300), the stands offer a perfect view, with only the netting between the players and fans. On further review, parking was free too, so I drove. As for the trolley… it was pretty cool watching them go by during the game, but the tracks aren’t as close as they look, and are way up there. Nobody is ever hitting a ball up there. Downside: no beer as expected.

My UCSD Tritons crushed the UCD Aggies 13-4. Despite being in first place in the Big West Conference, there’s no way they’ll make the NCAA tournament. They are on ‘transition’ and aren’t eligible until 2025.

Next up in college ball: a visit to Div 2 Pt.Loma Nazarene’s Carroll B. Land Stadium (above). Which has long been called ‘America’s most scenic ballpark’, including last year by MLB. I’m not sure if that’ll be this season however.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1644710477300383744

3 Likes

In the “box scores you don’t see commonly” department:

2 Likes

Rays hype! :vince1:

https://twitter.com/WoooooTheReds/status/1513906263033356300

Lol holy shit

Screenshot from 2023-04-09 00-10-38

Screenshot from 2023-04-09 00-10-51

1 Like

Shohei Ohtani to make MLB-record $65M in 2023, per Forbes

Ohtani is expected to make at least $35 million from endorsements, according to Forbes, up from $6 million in 2021 and $20 million in 2022. The magazine’s endorsement revenue estimates showed a substantial gap between the Japanese star and his peers. Judge, the American League MVP in 2022, was next on the list – in line to make $4.5 million in endorsements.

He was also voted an NBA all star starter.

3 Likes