Major League Baseball (Part 1)

We need robot umps now.

If anything, the arguments would be hilarious. Listening to ChatGPT burn Aaron Boone repeatedly would be glorious.

1 Like

i’ve calmed down a LOT over the last few years. maybe sobriety, maybe it’s that i’m 44. probably a bit of both…

but the way that ump stepped to him after tossing him, single-digit percent chance that doesn’t get my blood boiling.

that’s the way you approach someone when you want to fight, his face screams ‘what you wanna do?’.

It actually amazes me that no player has laid out a major league umpire. Closest that happened was Delmon Young chucking a bat at a minor league ump who was wearing a chest protector.

1 Like

Free season of MLB.tv deal is live in the T-Mobile Tuesdays app. Need to get it by April 4.

1 Like

Assuming some of you have already seen, but adds some interesting lip reading.

Ump show shit is so weird. Look, I know it can be a stressful job. It’s certainly thankless - you only get attention if you fuck up. But I feel like if I was an ump, I’d be really friendly with everyone because it’s a fucking fun game. Just have fun, keep spirits up, have a good time. I cannot imagine getting so pissy over trivial shit that I toss guys for nothing or ring a guy up on a pitch two feet outside.

You see old school guys hating it when opponents have a laugh with each other on the bases or whatever. I say have fun. It’s a game. Chat it up, who fucking cares.

1 Like

The vibe I get is more like an asshole cop daring you to touch him because he can do whatever he wants to you, but if you touch him you’re fucked.

1 Like

Got it!

It’s not really a $149.99 value, as t-mobile doesn’t give away the spring training games. I paid $24.99 for a month for that. So it’s a $125 value. Or, at my grandfathered in rate is 125/19.19 = 7.85 months worth of service. If they had let me get the free AAA membership too… I’d be getting more in perks, which I would otherwise pay cash $$$ for, than I pay for the service itself.

2 Likes

Sergio Romo signed like a one-day contract with the San Francisco Giants so that he could pitch one last time before calling it a career. It was an emotional moment as he took to the mound for his farewell outing. And before he could throw his first pitch…he was called for a pitch clock violation! True story.

3 Likes

This is old school anti-cheating stuff where you had to forbid the players from fraternizing in case they decided to start fixing games or something. Probably not as much of an issue now that everybody’s making tons of money.

1 Like

That ump should be permanently removed from all levels of baseball, but more importantly they’ve needed a screening test / evaluation protocol to keep these Little Hitlers out all along.

1 Like

Rule 4.06: Players in uniform shall not address or mingle with spectators, nor sit in the stands before, during, or after a game. No manager, coach or player shall address any spectator before or during a game. Players of opposing teams shall not fraternize at any time while in uniform.

I’m sure you are correct, this rule was put in as an anti- appearance of gambling corruption measure back in the day. Today they should define fraternization to exclude simply being friendly or chatting and such on the field.

1 Like

Sure it was an over reaction but if the catcher was talking shit for two innings and is purposefully trying to show up an ump. That can’t stand

The new pitcher/batter rules are going to be super annoying for a while.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1640768870981009411

thats about an average length pitch for nestor though

that actually amused me lol

Anti-union measure too. No fraternization among the workers

Brought to you by the same people who pressured players to start a family ASAP so they’d be tied down to the city and therefore be less inclined to challenge the Reserve Clause or go out west

exactly! ohhhhh just reading your post got me 20% fired up lol

if you watch that breakdown video, it 100% was a misunderstanding that the umpire overreacted on. he knew it when the manager was yelling at him.

realmuto had never been thrown out of over 2,000 games, this dude was just puffing his chest out.

can you un-toss someone once you’ve tossed ‘em? i assume you could but i’ve never seen/heard it. looked like he was thinking about it.