Major League Baseball (Part 1)

It is an interesting thought though. When I see super rich people with their dog at events im like ‘look at that douchebag’ (might or might not be talking about Haralabob). When a normal person takes their dog somewhere i think ‘thats an awesome person’.

maybe i just hate rich people

3 Likes

Correct, one of the greatest people I’ve ever known

1 Like

lololol i’d 100% feel the same way

They handpicked the pools (seriously, and I mean I’m fine with that, to drum up the highest interest from regional matchups in Tokyo, Miami and Arizona) to give USA the easiest pool, but it still looks like a lot of fun

Let’s go “Israel”. There are no israelis on the team, but we got Ian Kinsler as manager, Joc Pederson, Harrison Bader and Kevin Pillar in the outfield. I dunno any of our infielders though.

Dean Kremer is our ace pitcher. He’s also the closest to being an actual Israeli (both his parents are Israelis and he speaks Hebrew)

All the Nederlanders are from Curacao

Good thing US and Czech Republic aren’t in the same pool

Also, holy shit at CR having a baseball team. I know literally one Czech person in this country who likes baseball.

Czechs are legit great at baseball, relative to their size. Really grew quickly, too, as it seemed like very few people had even really heard of it when I used to visit Czechoslovakia. But they have tons of really good baseball and (fast-pitch) softball programs now.

I assume they get crushed in this field, though.

the best superb owl ad evar

There will be a bunch of these articles over the next few weeks

the pitch clock: With the bases empty, pitchers will now have 15 seconds to begin their motion once the catcher returns the ball to them and 20 seconds between pitches with runners on.

Pickoff attempts will be limited: Pitchers will also only be allowed two disengagements from the rubber – the number of times he can step off to throw to a base or to get a new sign.

Teams are no longer allowed to shift their infielders: The defense must position two infielders on each side of second base and all four infielders have to be on the infield dirt (or infield grass) as the ball is being pitched.

There will be larger bases: The size of each base will be increased to 18-inch squares instead of 15-inch squares.

For fantasy purposes this should increase the value of batters vs pitchers and increase the value of pull hitters.

One thing I’m slightly confused about: Let’s say a pitcher has used two pickoff attempts and two disengagements already… Does that basically mean the stolen base is a certainty?

1 Like

Not really - slower runners, pitchers with quicker delivery, catchers who throw very well, and pitchouts.

I guess it’ll be rare for both mound step offs to be used, but I have to assume that even slow runners can get to second against a pitchout if their go signal is the second the pitcher touches the rubber.

So, a pitcher has either 15 or 20 seconds to pitch, but the batter doesn’t have to be in the box until eight seconds left on the clock? So, a pitcher can’t throw a pitch like five seconds after the clock starts? They have to wait until the clock ticks down to eight seconds? I’m confused.

“A pitcher can attempt a third pickoff but if it doesn’t result in an out, it is an automatic balk.”

2 Likes

So it seems like Rickey’s record isnt long for this world

Yeah, I don’t get the pickoff rule. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Sure, we get annoyed when a pitcher steps off a bunch or throws over to first a lot when he’s worried about the runner, but it doesn’t happen THAT much where it’s causing unforgivable delays every game.

The pitch clock, sure, I get that. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are some kinks to work out, but it should be ok and will likely cut a good amount of time off of each game.

Pickoff rule seems necessary so pitchers don’t use pickoff throws as a workaround on the clock for time to home when runners are on.

2 Likes

I’m a pretty casual baseball fan and feel borderline excited about the rule changes. But, I’m wrong about pretty much everything so I assume this will be an abject failure somehow.