Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Meh missing 60 games.
Never making the playoffs is going to affect his historical placement. I’d feel sorry for him if he didn’t just sign a lifetime contract.

Chadwick Tromp just homered for the Giants. MAGA.

2 Likes

I was thinking generally, not just about skipping the 60 games. Missing a season costs him a good 10 WAR.

Might be the all-time great.

1 Like

As a practical matter, it proly will. But this fixation is a buncha modern day crappola, which I feel has “bled over” from other sports. See: Ernie Banks.

Ted Williams missed 5 years. Trout can handle a season.

1 Like

Ted Williams missed multiple seasons during his prime because he fought in WWII and the Korean War.

A lot of all time greats have never won a WS. Williams, Banks, Bonds, Griffey, etc. Even Donnie Baseball has never won one and look at how Boomer Yankee fans act like he’s the messiah.

Not winning a WS is whatever.
Making the playoffs one time and never winning a single game isn’t.

THESE MILLIONAIRE PLAYERS THESE DAYS ARE SOFT!

He’s just not clutch. All he cares about are his own personal stats, selfishly accumulating WAR instead of bunting runners over like a winner.

6 Likes

Sadly, this is what a lot of fans think now-a-days. But it’s objectively wrong, and an historical anomaly. There’s a dozen HOFers who never appeared in the playoffs.

It does serve a purpose I guess. Every time some fool in the bar finishes a sentence with “… but he doesn’t have any rings.” I know I don’t need to listen to their opinions anymore.

1 Like

Counterpoint - give me nine David Ecksteins and I’ll win the WS every year.

3 Likes

… and played the final three years of his career with a frozen head.

2 Likes

Cubs, man

Yea I’m a Yankees fan and my biggest pet peeve about other Yankees fans is thinking Don Mattingly is a “real Yankee” while A-Rod isn’t a true Yankee.

Fitting that the Reds play in the first 7-inning games in MLB history. Add it to the pile.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/one-fifty/reds-first

I’m skeptical that the change was necessary, but it is what it is.

Edited to add: future trivia question answer: Trevor Bauer pitched the first 7-inning CGSO in MLB history

Undefeated in 7-inning games.

1 Like

Fixed your trivia Q. They give out complete games and shutouts in shortened games too.

1 Like

I mean, Bonds got as close as physically possible, so I just chalk it up as a win

1 Like