Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Koufax makes 3 out of 21 perfect games thrown, there might be another HOFer from 100 years ago we’re all overlooking.

Is Halladay in the HOF? Feels like he should be, but I’m not actually sure.

1 Like

Its actually higher than I thought at 33%

During baseball’s modern era, 21 pitchers have thrown perfect games. Most were accomplished major leaguers. Seven have been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame: Cy Young, Addie Joss, Jim Bunning, Sandy Koufax, Catfish Hunter, Randy Johnson, and Roy Halladay.

He is, Id imagine Cone should have had more consideration than he did considering his resume and 5 rangs.

Add John Ward in 1880 to make 8/23 = 35%.

1 Like

Of those who havent had a chance to earn votes yet, Cain and King Felix are the most likely to get the nod. Not sure if Cain can overcome his first few seasons being on the godawful Mid 2000s Giants, but I guess you could say the same thing about Hernandez. At least Cain pulled in 3 rings and was instrumental in 2010 12 and 14.

Both Don Larson (in the WS) and Dave Wells went to Pt.Loma HS in San Diego. That’s 2/23 = 9% of perfect games.

In his era you were expected to rack up a lot of Wins to get HOF consideration. He might have got in as a sabremetrics darling but he has some injuries mid career that kept his accumulated WAR from reaching, say, 70, which seems to be around the level where analytics fans will take up the case.

Cone is also infamous for masturbating during a game.

And one was Philip Humber.

3 Likes

Cain is 0% to make the HOF

3 Likes

He won’t get in on merit that’s for sure. He is a long shot wild card for Veterans Committee nonsense because of RANGZ, I suppose.

Historically, the baseball HOF has largely avoided rings fever. Times might be a-changin of course, especially with the expanded playoffs. That would be unfortunate.

If I had to look him up he’s not that memorable.

If any Giant from the early 2010s is going to get in just on RANGZ, please God let it be Big Time Timmy Jim.

2 Likes

If Cain gets in when Dave Stieb couldn’t even get a sniff, I’ll go and burn the HOF down myself.

3 Likes

Matt Cain career WAR is sub 30. He’s not going to make the second year of voting.

1 Like

RIP HOFer and a Padre Gaylord Perry.

1 Like

Gaylord Perry played for a lot of teams during his career. After he retired, he played in an old-timers circuit, and wore the above 8-team jersey. He went into the HOF as a Giant. He was the first pitcher to win the Cy Young award in both leagues (Cleveland in 1972, San Diego in 1978). He was famous for his high leg kick, and infamous for throwing a spitter.

According to UniWatch, HOFer manager Casey Stengel had pioneered the multiple team uni in 1975.

2 Likes

Perry was a little before my time, but the one thing I remember about him when I was a kid was that multi-team old-timers game uniform.

1 Like