Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Bauer has a good analogy in this thread
https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/1261099141146439683?s=20

3 Likes

Paraphrasing LeBatard but like he was saying, the one time the owners incur any amount of risk and they start crying equitability. They don’t do the contrary on unprecedented gains.

Fuck all those dude(tte)s.

4 Likes

Counterpoint: We get a .600 hitter. And a triple crown line of .632/4/17 by some dude that never played AA ball but was called up because the starter has the Rona.

1 Like

OK, no (non KBO) baseball… it’s time for rules trivia…

1. How many hits can a team get in an inning without scoring a run?
    :white_check_mark: 6… the last being a runner hit by batted ball
  2. How many errors can a team give up in an inning without giving up a run?
    :white_check_mark: Infinite E for dropped foul flys
    2B: Barring the above, what’s the most? Hint: E>12
  3. What’s the least number of outs in an inning?
  4. What’s the least number of batters in a full inning?
  5. What happens if the batter due up is on base?
  6. What’s the most number of outs that can be made in an inning?
  7. What’s the most number of strikeouts in an inning?
    :white_check_mark: infinite K w/batter reaching on dropped 3rd strike
  8. Can a starting pitcher get a save? :white_check_mark: yes, if he plays the field between
  9. Can a pitcher get a save and a win in the same game? :white_check_mark: no, by rule
  10. Can a pitcher win and lose the same game?
  11. Can a pitcher strike themselves out?
  12. There’s a few… name a football like penalty in baseball.
  13. Is skillful glove throwing part of baseball?
    :white_check_mark: Yes, it happens w/ ball in glove
    13B: What about just tossing an empty glove?
  14. What happens if both managers refuse to announce their lineup first?
  15. Can a pitcher pitch a complete regulation game, not give up any hits, and not get a no hitter?
    :white_check_mark: Yes, visiting pitcher can if the home team doesn’t bat in 9th
  16. Can a pitcher get a shutout when he doesn’t pitch a complete game?
  17. Can a pitcher pitch a perfect game and not get a win?
  18. Can a baseball team score on defense?
  19. How many games can a MLB team win in a day?
  20. What happens if a fly ball never comes down?

ETA: 2B, 13-20, answers.

No way I’m gonna tackle all of these but just for fun let me give #1 a shot.

5 hits seems obvious, but just guessing as to whether the rule works this way, I’ll say 6, with the last batter reaching safely and then touching/passing another runner before anyone crosses home.

Wrong. Bases loaded, the batter hits the ball out of the park, no runs score because a runner passed a runner… the batter gets a 0-1.

Is that true though? Todd Zeile.

EDIT- Robin Ventura

With the Mets trailing 2-0 in the sixth inning of Game 1 [2000 World Series] and Perez on first base, Todd Zeile drilled a shot to left-center that looked like a game-tying home run. Perez loafed around second base, convinced the ball was leaving the Stadium. It didn’t.

The difference in 2000 is the bases weren’t loaded. This will usually be scored a double if there’s one on, a single if there’s two on, and an out with the bases loaded.

Must be someone else I’m thinking about. Pretty sure some dude on Mets hit a game winning grand slam. I’m a Yankees fan so I don’t know all the details. But I know it wasn’t a game tying home run. It was the winning hit.

The scoring rule still stands. With two outs, there needs to be an open base for the batter to get a hit when runners pass each other.

ETA: (I wish) the Yankees suck! Go Red Sox !!!1!

Lol no idea why I thought Todd Zeile. It was Robin Ventura. It was a grand slam to win the game.

Yeah, but we’re talking about an inning without any runs scored. If a run scores the batter gets at least a single.

But you said the batter gets an 0-1.

He does. IIRC it’s a FC, PO to the nearest fielder.

No I mean Ventura when he hit that grand slam single. He hit a GS but got credited with a single. He didnt go 0-1 in that at bat.

Yeah sure, but a run scored. We (and by we, I mean you) are trying to figure out how to get that sixth hit without scoring a run. Runner passing runner is not the droid you are looking for.

Maybe the answer is five?

No, I’m trying to figure this out. A batter goes 0-1 because a runner passed a runner. Yet Robin Ventura had a grand slam single.

Ball hit out of ballpark, runner passes runner…

• If a run scores, the batter is usually going to get a hit
  • If there’s a base open, the batter is usually going to get a hit
  • If there’s less than two outs, the batter is usually going to get hit
  • But, if no run scores, there isn’t a base open, and there’s two outs, the batter can never get a hit.

ETA: look at it this way: you can’t get a hit on an out of park ball unless all the forced runners advance safely.

In the end, it’s hilarious how MLB has 5 bazillion rules but gets it right. Meanwhile the NFL can’t tell you what a catch is.

I’ve said forever, the NFL comes up with a stupid new rule every season. Like clockwork. They got to be doing it on purpose.

Here’s a football Q however: Can a football team score exactly 1 point?

1 Like