Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Yeah. They look strong but this morning I was rooting for their opponents. Finally, I got so frustrated that I threw my phone through my tv.

1 Like

Ahhh remember those guys down the block who were obsessed were their Gem Mint Tens?

I don’t have enough :heart:s for Eireann Dolan & Sean Doolittle… who are now officially my co-favorite sportsballers (FYI: Sabo doggy’s favorite is Tyson Ross).

Yes, I’d love to have baseball on tv. No, I’m not a ghoul. Continuing to be a football fan is far enough (maybe too far). But a reckless “opening up” just to fill up the airwaves is too far for me. I got HBO.

ETA: Sean Doolittle wife’s name is Eireann Dolan.

1 Like

tis really about the money

Of course. Profits > people = recklessness.

The proposal as written also tries to sneak in a salary cap under the cover of Covix. Which is a working definition of despicable. That’s what the 1994-95 strike was about, so this should all be a non-starter anyways.

1 Like

I really hope they don’t even try to play. Seems like a slam dunk that at some point 5 players on one team are gonna get sick and they’re gonna have to unceremoniously shut down again and probably just can the whole thing, then on top of everything there’ll be some argument as to whether the players stats from the 30-something games they played should even count.

Even if they do play it seems like they’re angling to shove 14-team playoffs down our throats and the automatic guy on 2nd base in extra innings BS, which they’ll claim was a ratings bonanza and keep forever. Yay let’s take an already high-variance sport and add enough playoff teams that the best team in the league has a 30% chance of winning a championship any given year.

4 Likes

IMO, the big problem is that folks see that sportsball is coming back on tv… well they think: “Things are back to normal, let’s all have an opening day viewing party”. And then the man-caves are all back in business. So why not open up the bars? It’s all good to go.

I love my sportsball on tv, but it’s a huge influencer. Nobody needs sportsball on tv. A lot of other shit that is way less dangerous, and people actually do need… like barbershops and clothing stores, should “open up” sooner. Sportsball on tv should be about the last thing “open up”.

1 Like

I’m so torn bc I really want them to play, but bc the America#1 response to this has been so bad there is no way this could not be anything but a disaster in a variety of ways.

Ugh. KBO is pretty decent btw

2 Likes

Yeah, Sabo doggy & me were subjected to this desecration at a Lake Elsinore Storm game last season. They managed to dream a rule so damn stupid that it breaks box scores.

You ever noticed how the baseball gods don’t like baseball being fucked with…

year fuck with baseball baseball gods fuck you back
1974 DH 1975 Players strike
1988 Lights in Wrigley First try rained out
1994 Wildcards 1994-1995 Players strike
2020 Stupid fucking ass 3 batters rule Covid-19
4 Likes

Counterpoint - herpety derpety they get paid millions to chase a ball in their pajamas they just need to suck it up and get out there herpety derpety doo.

2 Likes

Back when I used to play poker, and we were just hearing about CTE, there was an odious, and often odoriferous fish, who’s line was:

“Pussy [black] football players are paid good money to take those hits, that’s why I’m a hockey fan, [white] hockey players love taking hits”.

1 Like

Real posts from a sports forum I pop in on:

^This guy is conveniently ignoring the fact that players and owners already agreed to reduced salaries in March.

Sports fans always find a way to land on the side of billionaires.

3 Likes

America worships at the altar of the wealthy.

Believing in a capitalistic meritocracy is the new religion that keeps the normies in their place.

1 Like

131 or 132 years ahead of it’s time…

The reason baseball clubs are called “clubs” is because originally that’s what they were. Baseball players don’t need owners… owners need baseball players.

1 Like

Correct.

Otoh, GB not having an owner stuck ARodg w/ Fat Mike for way too long.

Packer management has long captured the incorporation, as a practical matter.

The only voting shares were sold way back in the day. They are held very closely, and nobody can own over some small percentage. A proxy fight would stand less chance than the LA Football Clippers finding a home field crowd that backs them. All the shares they’ve sold since (to fund capital improvements @ Lambeau, and to build a mall on site) are non-voting.

2 Likes

I did know that. But the faceless corp is worse than an owner that wants to win imo.

I was being facetious to begin with, your point obv stands.

1 Like

Ward pitched the second perfect game in baseball history…Lee Richmond had thrown baseball’s first perfect game just five days before

The above could easily be the least interesting thing J.Ward did. He might be the best person in the Hall of Fame. The worst person is, unquestionably, K.Landis

1 Like