Major League Baseball (Part 1)

We have a winner !!!1! Since this isn’t a football thread, I’ll explain…

Sabo’s Aztecs score a TD, Fresno State scores a safety on the try, Final: Aztecs 6, Bulldogs 1.

In the NFL there’s a second way… my Patriots score a TD, then turn the ball over on the try. The hated Jets executes a drop kick. Final: Patriots 6, Jets 1.

The NFL drop kick rule also allows either team to score 3 points on a kickoff.

Now, the real Qs are… how does a team give up a safety 85-98 yards behind them… and why would an NFL team ever try a dropkick in that situation.

Also, it’s not uncommon for teams to run a play on a try and give the opponent a free-roll for that 2 pts, when they should just do the Victory Play. SMH re football coaches and try strategy.

Presumably some play like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TEuvRXfYKw

If you had, say, a 2nd XP try after a 15yd penalty you wouldn’t even have that many yards to travel for the safety. Still super unlikely obviously.

So back to the original questions, I guess the correct answer to #1 was the obvious 5 hits?

for #2, I’m assuming 12 errors right? The max would be one error for every base safely reached by a player.

Yea exactly. Other ways I can imagine: I’ve seen teams get a whole lot of unsportsmanlikes and have a try from their own territory. Maybe a wrong way Riegels?

ETA: Four 15yders pushes an NFL team from the opponent’s 15 to their own 25. Two more nominal 15yders pushes them back to their own 7. They can get a safety from there by running a Hail-Mary.

In the NFL, D.Flutie comes out of retirement, plays 10 more years, then announces his 2nd retirement. For his 2nd time last game, they have him playing special teams, just in case this drop-kick scenario comes up.

No. H >5. 12 E is incorrect.

I’m really curious… I can get to 9 E easily 3*(CI,PB,PB,CS)… how do you substitute a play w/E for the CS?

Hmmm, I thought by definition an error was only an error if it allowed a player to reach/advance at least one base, and 12 would be the most bases that could be taken without scoring. First 6 could be your way, or whatever other shenanigans it would take for an error to occur at each base before the player gets thrown out at home. Then another 6 total for loading the bases, all with some very contrived base running (dudes strolling from base to base so there’s time to have an attempt at each one).

Back to question 1, was I on the right track with 6 hits but just had the nature of the last play wrong? What about a batted ball that hits a runner for the last one?

Without anything else, how I see it is this: you can only advance a runner 3 times… the 4th advance would mean the runner scored. So I’m still getting 3*3=9.

Ding, ding, ding… we got our winner !!!1!

So Jon Bois and Alex Rubenstein put together one of the best sports documentaries I have seen without any behind the scenes footage or player interviews, etc.

Highly recommended six part youtube series on the history of the Seattle Mariners.

If you need to be sold any further, the first part deals with arson.

1 Like

I watched this whole thing as they were putting it out. Definitely great, especially if you are really into 90s baseball when the Ms were super exciting.

Right, but after that runner is standing on 3rd with 2 outs, you still have two more bases to fill. So the runner stays put on the next few plays while runners reach 1st/2nd and then 1st via three more errors.

VG. Got me. You’re good at this.

(CI, PB, CI, PB 2nd->3rd, PB 1st->2nd, CI, CS from 3rd, PB 2nd->3rd, PB 1st->2nd, CI, CS from 3rd, PB 2rd->3nd, PB 1st->2nd, CI, P2 or equiv) is 12 errors.

That’s still the wrong answer.

:rage:
OK I give up on that one. Just cherry picking a couple of other ones, since I’m trying to answer based on my own knowledge and not look stuff up:

1. It should technically be infinite, since you can have a dropped third strike on every batter. IIRC the record for Ks by one pitcher in an inning is 4.

8/9. I think a situation actually did come up where a pitcher started, switched positions and later retook the mound to finish the game, and it was determined he was ineligible for the save. Not sure that only applies if he got the W as well though.

1. At one point, no. I remember when Andy Hawkins pitched 8 no-hit innings at Cleveland (and managed to give up 4 runs in a disastrous inning where two OFs lost balls in the sun) he initially got credit for a no-hitter. However MLB later changed the definition to only include “complete games of 9 innings or more”. Hawkins’ was technically a complete game but since Cleveland didn’t have to bat in the 9th, he had it stripped from him, as well as a few owners of rain-shortened no-hitters.

We have another winner. The record of 4 has been tied about a million times. I was watching a White Sox game back in the day, and if not for a terrible call at 1st, they would have struck out five. Most strikeouts without giving up run would be 6.

This is the crux of #8 and #9. The save rule explicitly rules out the winner getting a save too. So #9 is false. But a starting pitcher can take the field, and if a relieve pitcher becomes pitcher of record, and starter could then return to the mound and get a save. So #8 is true.

We got still another winner !!!1!

A.Hawkins has been involved in a couple games that hi-light stupid baseball rules. If Hawkins doesn’t pitch 10 shutout innings for Sabo doggy’s Padres on the last day of the season -vs- Hershiser, Hershiser doesn’t break Drysdale’s record. Why is that? Because scoreless streaks don’t carry over from season to season. How absurd.

MLB had a seriously flawed definition of no-hitters before, but they replaced it with a still flawed one. These 8 inning outings have always been complete games. Now we have the situation where some non-shortened games, with no hits allowed, are complete games, but not no hitters. Again absurd.

This reminds me of the story of why I quit being a professional gambler. I always said I’d quit if my pitcher pitched a no-hitter and lost. That’s exactly what happened.

This was way back in July of 1991. The Expos visited LA, got two no-hitters, and still lost the series 2 games to 1. On Sunday the 28th, Dennis Martinez pitched his perfect game. On Friday the 26th, Mark Gardner pitches what was then a no-hitter, that the he lost 0-1 in the 10th. To add insult to my lost $$$$, MLB changes the rules because of this game, and takes the no-hitter away.

1 Like

20 depends on the ground rules, like with the catwalks at the Trop, but if you’re talking about a situation like where Dave Kingman somehow popped a ball out of the Kingdome, it’s a ground-rule double.

13 is absolutely yes, there have been multiple instances of pitchers throwing their gloves (with the ball in them) to first base because they couldn’t get the ball out of the glove.

I’m not talking about domes. And I wasn’t really thinking about if a bird ate the ball (although that’s a Q too). I’m talking the ball goes up, goes out of sight, and that’s it.

Very good. I wasn’t thinking of this either. I’ve seen infielders do the same. So you are correct. However, I was thinking instead of this new brand new Q…

Q 13B: What about skill in throwing gloves without the ball in it. Just tossing a glove?

Yeah the answer for errors in an inning without a run is theoretically infinite, because a dropped pop up in foul territory can be an error without advancing any runners.

1 Like

We have another winner !!!1!

This wasn’t always the case however. Back in the day the scoring rule was different, and much stupider. The first dropped foul popup was only ruled an error if the batter subsequently reached base. So… (drop foul by catcher, drop foul by 1st baseman, walk) was scored W+E2. SMH.

There’s all sorts of archaic rule trivia which can be smuggled into the chat by means of: “What’s the most X in major league history?”. Example: Q: What’s the most balls in an at bat in major league history?" A: 9. So let’s travel back in time, and add another bonus Q…

• Q 2A: Barring dropped foul fly balls, what’s the most errors w/o scoring a run? Hint: E is still >12

This is a terrible idea in this country

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL’S plan to start the season by July 4 relies on a dizzying array of moving parts, including the cooperation of 27 U.S. cities and a foreign country, the availability of more than 200,000 reliable coronavirus tests and a promise not to interfere with the nationwide fight to contain the pandemic.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Watch_Momentum/status/1262544751112237057?s=20

2 Likes