Major League Baseball (Part 1)

The 90s Bills say hi

I was going to use the 1990s Braves as my example above, but instead picked the contemporaneous Dodgers. When peeps unironically give me that line re: those Braves, I know I’m chatting with a fool.

Other sports are worse. I’d WAG 90% of the follow ups to “X should be in the pro football HOF” are of the form “(Yes he had) | (No he only had) Y rings”. SMH.

They don’t though

Imagine the nfl only let teams that were 10-6 or 9-7 or 8-8 into the playoffs

Not many teams are winning 2+ rings in ten years

There just isn’t a lot between a 105 win team and a 90 win team in a 5 game series.

A 110 win baseball team is equal to an 11-5 football record. Baseball just doesn’t generate the equivalent of 12+ Win teams. And the same on the bottom, the nut worst are equal to 5-11.

A much larger fraction of football games are win through sheer physical domination. (That and small sample sizes).

In either sport still taking the roughly top 30% of teams to the playoffs.

1 Like

Baseball games are very rarely -300+, and only a handful of games will be -200+ most days. In different eras, like the 1980s, -200+ was very rare. Lot more effective ‘tanking’ now a days.

Look at the NFL money line. Almost all games will be -300+, often way, way more.

Baseball is truly a ‘sample size’ needed game at the MLB level. Less than like best-of-15 is simply close to a flip.

1 Like

Such disrespect for the 1906 Cubs.

1 Like

Seriously, if (assuming we could magic away the game frequency), if the NFL did 162 games, there wouldn’t be a lot of 141-21 teams either. NFL records are an artifact of both a more lopsided sport -and- a short sample size.

1 Like

How many 9 win teams have won the super bowl?

Postponing this game would be ideal for the Yankees so it makes sense that they’re going to wait for 11:30 to throw the first pitch.

Just the Giants in 2011.

1 Like

The finally postponed it. Get to start Cortez now.

What the fuck? They knew hours ago they were never playing this. Seems like a ploy to drive ratings for The Cube.

1 Like

Love it man. Real fans know this guy is a padres legend and a big reason why the padres have gone from a joke to a respectable team over his tenure. I hope we’re able to work out a deal for him to come back next season.

I’m happy that Grisham is getting his vindication after struggling all year and that several of our other players are getting support from the crowds after hearing a lot of boos when things weren’t going so well in the mid to late regular season.

I’ve been a little annoyed at how many people are rocking padres gear right now everywhere because I’ve been wearing a padres hat for years and nobody said anything but I am pretty surprised that so many people want to mention it. I talked a friend who is a tall athletic dude with long hair and a beard and he said while wearing his padres hat three people TODAY called him Josh Hader on the street lol

1 Like

OK, here come the Phillies.

Series: Padres -115; Phillies -105
Game #1: Phillies (Wheeler) +101 @ Padres (Darvish) -120.

I can’t proclaim this particular Darvish game as the critical, as barring a sweep, he’ll get two starts in this series. But every game is big in a short series, as everyone knows. And yes… I pimped the #6 seed to be better than the #5 seed, but here we have the exact situation where the #5 seed is better, as Sabo the dog’s Padres get home field advantage…

Another parallel with 1984 is, like the Cubs back then, the Phillies are just the team they happen to be matched up against. Unless I’m forgetting something, there isn’t any real Padres-Phillies rivalry. The two teams have always been in separate divisions and have never before met in the playoffs. The stadiums were even opened the same year, and have overlapping architects.

As Philly is the larger city, together with the objective east coast bias in sports media, we’ll be hearing a whole hell of a lot about how the poor poor Philly fans haven’t celebrated a championship since… checks notes… 2008. Get the barf bags ready.

Baseball Championships by City (a)

Yr San Diego 1 total
1984 Padres NL Pennant (lost WS)
Yr Philadelphia 20 total
1871 A’s #1(b) National Association Pennant (top league, pre-major leagues and WS)
1883 A’s #2(c) American Association Pennant (no ancient WS -vs- NL)
1902 A’s AL Pennant (no WS)
1905 A’s AL Pennant (lost WS)
1910 A’s WS & AL Pennant
1911 A’s WS & AL Pennant
1913 A’s WS & AL Pennant
1914 A’s AL Pennant (lost WS)
1915 Phillies NL Pennant (lost WS)
1923 Hinsdale ECL Pennant (no Colored WS)
1924 Hinsdale ECL Pennant (lost Colored WS)
1925 Hinsdale Colored WS & ECL Pennant
1929 A’s WS & AL Pennant
1930 A’s WS & AL Pennant
1931 A’s AL Pennant (lost WS)
1950 Phillies NL Pennant (lost WS)
1980 Phillies WS & NL Pennant
1983 Phillies NL Pennant (lost WS)
1993 Phillies NL Pennant (lost WS)
2008 Phillies WS

(a) counting pennants before the introduction of interleague play.
(b) Not the current A’s, team defunct 1876.
(c) Not the current A’s, team defunct 1890.

ETA: Shame on me forgetting the Philly area major league champions of the Negro Leagues. I should know better. My bad.

1 Like

humans are bandwagon fans

Dogs are different.

FYP.

1 Like

Well, not me of course! My first words were Padre (dada) because I’ve been a fan since birth. Came out of the womb crying in ‘84 because the padres lost the World Series when I was fetus.

1 Like

4/6 with 2 homers and 2 walks versus Cortes in his career, and Rosario pops up a first pitch bunt attempt.

Pretty surprised Cleveland stuck with this scrubby pitcher after the rainout. Plesac didn’t have to pitch an inning the other night. He’d have been a better choice if they didn’t want to bring back Bieber on short rest.