Major League Baseball (Part 1)

The Chargers are the team I’ve had the hardest time getting used to moving or changing names. I still forget they’re not in San Diego.

Pretty great day of baseball. I couldn’t help but think about how much fun all those fans were having and how those games and their experience at the ballpark could be in their brains forever. Also thought of how hard it would be to explain to an alien-being why it is that we react to our sports teams the way that we do. And then I thought that you really don’t have to be an alien to not understand it. The whole fandom thing just isn’t in the DNA of many people. But I guess it’s in ours. Very happy for Sabo and Sabo the dog. I think they need to celebrate with a special meal tonight. And they’ve got home-field for the NLCS. How great is that?

3 Likes

Good thing they added 15 wild card teams to play highly random 3 game series to the playoffs

If you put the last place team in the AL as the final wild card team. They would win the World Series > 0% of the time

Not so in football or basketball.

1 Like

it really cannot be understated how roberts basically threw that game like he’s thrown so many before

puts almonte in, which i could nitpick but I guess is fine in a vacuum other than youve practically guaranteed you can’t use him for the rest of the series and there were better choices in the bullpen that didnt pitch the day before

then takes him out after a grand total of like 4 pitches and doesnt even TRY to buy time at the mound for vesia who’s seriously thrown like 2 warmup pitches on a cold rainy night

gets hammered immediately and roberts is all surprised pikachu. fire this guy man. there’s been so many idiotic decisions over the years that are just absolutely mind-boggling, I don’t know what it will take for them to get rid of this dude. I’m sure he’s good at a lot of other things, maybe just take away his ability to make pitching changes mid game like this, he just is not good at it. I correctly predicted he do something stupid shortly before he did it because when they flashed briefly to him in the dugout when things started to go south, he had a look of fear in his eyes and when he gets like that he just start smashing buttons.

it’s nice that the NL West is finally competitive, though, I guess. I never ever foresaw a situation where I’d root for the astros but now I have one

justin-timberlake-stare

1 Like

For a minute I thought I accidentally opened the Supreme Court thread. This forum has truly broken my brain.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve been getting a lot of The Spirit of '84 vibes at the bars, and out-n-about lately, as I’ve mentioned. Today it feels as if Sabo the dog’s Padres have won a championship. Yes, the Dodgers are hated that much. Of course, one of the differences is that in 1984 they literally did win a championship… the NL Pennant. That situation also existed in football with the first four ‘true’ Superb Owls. It disappeared with the introduction of interleague play in MLB, and the great merger in the NFL.

Of course, in 1984, and after winning that championship, Sabo’s Padres got waffle crushed by a great Tigers team. Right now this morning I’m not sure anyone really GIF about the Phillies. But by Tuesday afternoon I know the Gaslamp will be rocking at full-tilt once again. In this modern era, there is a best-of-7 to win, then hopefully another best-of-7 to win, to claim that championship. Which would be a first for the only major city w/o a major championship.

1 Like

Wait, you’re actually a Dodgers fan? I thought is was a bit.

Omg Naylor just did the big balls dance from Major League. (I have no idea what he was doing or saying there but lulz.)

1 Like

He’s a goofy kid, like Vecchio

1 Like

A severe thunderstorm knocked out my power last night. Transformer blew up right after Freeman made it 2-0.

When I woke up to see 5-3, I had to stare at it for a minute for it to sink in.

This team is dangerous.

1 Like

he’s a tank, he’s gonna do what he wants

Major League 2!

Yep Darvish and Musgrove, Snell if he can limit the walks. Hader is right

Phillies lineup is as good, and pitching about on par, too imo

Damn it, missed a free drink.

1 Like

teams that made the playoffs at all before say 1995 are still celebrated, even if they didn’t win. Because they did accomplish something that was rare. We don’t do that anymore, and probably won’t again. Everything has become defined by titles in a NBA-like fashion, but basketball is just a different game.

Our perception of the World Series has changed as the playoffs have expanded and trips to them have gotten more automatic for a group of teams at a given time. Now it’s championship or bust.

This “ring fetish” is part of what’s ruining everything, for sure.

It does make for a quick filter when chatting with folks at the bars/etc. If they unironically start carrying on about how, say the Dodgers the last ten years, aren’t a great team because they only got one ring, or carrying on how, say Ernie Banks, wasn’t great because he didn’t get any rings… then you know they are a fool who doesn’t really need to be listened to.

1 Like

yea the dodgers do deserve derision for their playoff performance the last ten years

The whole premise of that article is a lie. The 1990s Braves were constantly described as a failure for only getting one championship.