Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Overly serious answer to an obviously humorous comment…

• MLB didn’t name pennant winners or a world champion when the 1994 season didn’t complete. The Jays were the defending 2-time champs, but ended in up 3rd place with a 50-60 record. The Expos ended with the best record in baseball (74-40 .649). There was no inter-league games in 1994. The hated Yankees had the best record in the AL (70-43).

OTOH All-Star Sabo Metrics recognizes both the Expos and Yankees as pennant winners in 1994. Based on this reasoning: traditionally the leagues didn’t have playoffs and determined their pennant by winning percentage. In the absence of playoffs the divisions are meaningless and this remains the default. Further, ASSM recognizes the Expos as world champions. Based on this reasoning: The Expos had a better record in that apples-vs-oranges comparison -and- the Expos would have been favorites over the Yankees if they had matched up.

• I’m sure MLB won’t name a champion if this covid compromised campaign also doesn’t complete.

OTOH if this MLB season doesn’t complete, ASSM is prepared to recognize as a (single) pennant winner whatever MLB team ends up the best record. If MLB only plays a trivial amount of games (like they call it quits after Sunday as rumored), and JPB does complete, ASSM is prepared to recognize the Japan Series winner as world champions.

3 Likes

welp

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1289555525714157568

Men without a conscience risking the lives of people who make them billions performing the non-essential task of playing sports.

You know at least a few people are going to have to die or become permanently disabled before the league shuts down. If baseball can’t do it, I have no idea how other sports can. Honestly, sports in Europe might have to shut down too because it’s getting worse in pretty much every country.

Bump

1 Like

Yeah, FBS has been shuffling schedules like deck chairs. They haven’t figured out yet that they are going down on the Titanic. The (sometimes nominal) student-athletes aren’t even pros. What plausible purpose does holding college football in empty stadiums serve… except that money grab. They should just punt on FBS right now.

The best idea I’ve heard for the FBS season is this: just have one game, Army -vs- Navy, for the national championship. These (not nominal) student-athletes are under military discipline, right?

Very Bad News: more people have covid. Possible Trivial Silver Lining: I can’t imagine the desecration of those 7-inning Brewers games happening tomorrow with this news.

ETA: today’s Brewers game cancelled now.

No. I was assured yesterday on Twitter that canceling a game due to one positive test was “crazy”.

If they were carefully following very strict protocols they could potentially only get one positive test. But in this yahoo show you are guaranteed never to have just one.

College football will be the worst. Risking the lives of almost children who are not compensated to play a game?

They need to have an iron clad open policy that ANY student who does not want to participate can opt out with no penalty or recrimination AND be guaranteed their scholarship, and subsequent renewals, for as long as the eligible.

Speaking of college football

https://mobile.twitter.com/amandamull/status/1289603185724727296

3 Likes

Lol @ Manfred blaming the players and not the owners for coming up with a solid plan from the get go.

Why can’t these billionaire owners chip in and buy an island somewhere and just be in a true bubble? You could stage all the major sports for the next year. Since fans aren’t allowed, you don’t need stadiums. I’m sure there’s some random island in the Bahamas that would work. I know there’s a hurricane going on but that’s only a few days.

But if every player gets COVID now, the survivors without long term damage can make them lots of money next year.

1 Like

The biggest problem with this is the players won’t do it. Lack of access to their families and amenities is a real issue for a large percentage of players. Even the bubble sports struggle with this.

1 Like

Get the Fyre Fest team to set it up. They are already experts in trainwrecks.

2 Likes

The plan seems a lot more solid than I expected: A day inside MLB's COVID protocols

Apparently the problem is they apparently weren’t enforcing it at all and relying on the teams.

people got mad when they were told to wear a mask, now you have so many people reliant on them just playing for DFS/fantasy purposes much less I WANT MY BASEBALL GAME BECAUSE I AM BORED DAMNIT

The Seattle Mariners will put a cardboard cutout with your likeness in the stands for a mere $30. Added bonus, they’ll mail you a ball if your cutout gets nailed by a foul ball.

2 Likes

Seriously what is going on in baseball.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1289587882194120704

7 Likes

That’s his job.

Sports commissioners aren’t in charge of the sport, in some platonic sense. They’re in charge of the owners, and serve at their pleasure. See Sox, Black & Reds, Black.

FYI: It was widely known ahead of time that the 1919 Series was fixed, including by both team owners. Those crooked owners happily staged the games and sold the tix anyways. Then they brought in the evil K.Landis to clean house… but only of the crooked players.

https://twitter.com/karlravechespn/status/1289628827157581830

there’s no reason to quit, it’s not like anyone’s died yet

I guess there is no escaping these 7-inning games…

The game was officially postponed at 2:05 p.m. The Reds and Tigers will play a seven-inning doubleheader on Sunday with the first pitch scheduled for 12:10 p.m. It will be the first seven-inning doubleheader in MLB history