Major League Baseball (Part 1)

6 straight starts for Shohei Ohtani with 10+ strikeouts

but he didn’t drive in any runs today so they lost 2-0

Just off the il tonight and a bit sooner than originally expected, Sal Perez homers off Cole earlier. He is some player. Rain delay bummer

Castillo to Seamen. Reds get quite a haul in return: SEA #1, 3, 5 prospects.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/rahupnext20/status/1553201803835150337

Much better haul than the Giants got for him forever ago
December 20, 2014: Traded by the San Francisco Giants with Kendry Flores to the Miami Marlins for Casey McGehee.

McGehee grounded into a double play in almost 12% of his ABs in 2015 for the Giants.

1 Like

seems like they just felt bad they raked them the previous times wanted to make it up

but he’s having a really good year and pitchers having a really good year cost a lot to get

heck middling starters can get a top prospect + someone else up there for some reason

:vince2:

1 Like

Seems a good trade for both teams. Castillo is a legit 5 WAR pitcher which is worth easily $30 million+ per year and Mariners get him cheap for 1.5 years. 3 top prospects seems fair value for that.

I think it makes sense to overpay for a 1/2 (and there aren’t many of those available for trade) rather than pay a still decent price for a 4. Especially for the Mariners who already have 3 solid SPs so why trade for a guy who you may not even use in the playoffs.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1554154409642409985

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1554155827866603527

Ruiz runs fast (probably can’t do much else) but still you don’t see teams in first place trade their better pieces at the deadline too often

they swapped closers + brewers get a prospect and some spare parts? Limet had a good year during covid but just so-so otherwise maybe they think they can fix something.

I’m wondering if Devin Williams moves into the closer role or if the Brewers keep him and Rogers in their familiar spots.

Seems obvious the Brewers did not plan on paying Hader after next season and since he’s been shaky since a couple weeks before the All-Star break, the didn’t want to risk that his value tanked. Other than this short bad stint (and it’s been really bad), he’s been incredible.

If they are smart, they’d start using them interchangeably based on platoon splits. Should have done that with Hader - but harder to bump an incumbent from their role as full time closer (especially one as elite for Hader, even if Williams nearly as elite).

right he’s had a bad month or so for his entire career which pitchers always have some definitely not great stretch somewhere in the careers and the brewers just went dump the bum like a normal drunk fan at the game would think.

It’s just teams usually don’t trade guys like that when they’re in first place.

You don’t need to platoon guys like Hader (outside of the last month)

don’t think interchangably works as well as you think it would, lots of guys do better in more clear roles.

Sure - but if you’ve got a few LH coming up in the 8th and mostly RH in the 9th, why not go Hader/Williams as opposed to Williams/Hader.

Because they’ve both shown they can mow down anybody.

I really think this move was more to get what they can for Hader before he hits free agency. They get a short-term replacement back plus some prospects. I don’t think the Brewers were just dumping him because he tanked for bit. He hasn’t been amazing since the All-Star break, but he’s looked better.

Sure, they are both good even against the platoon split, but both do have a platoon split so why not take advantage of that when possible.

Hader for his career (vs. LH - .225/…258; vs. RH - .246/.314)
Williams (vs. LH - .300/.291; vs. RH - …250/.231)

So Hader is much better vs. LH while Williams is slightly better vs. RH. Probably not a big difference, but these small edges can matter - particularly in the playoffs.

I guess the counter is that having defined roles makes it easier, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any data that this is actually true.

Hader had a 1.82 ERA a month ago

so many “he’s washed up” takes out there

well nobody could reasonably data point that, but I’ve heard players tend to prefer roles, which is why we’ve had them for so long. (a lot of the analytic ideas like not having a starting pitcher idea aren’t new at all, just hadn’t been done in a long time)