Major League Baseball (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1550159984704512011

He’d be making $700k if he had worked his way through the minors by now.

2 Likes

Posnanski’s post/essay today is really good, focusing on Barry Larkin (#5 in the list of players who just missed making the Baseball 100). It’s interesting because it distinguishes between two types of baseball stars:

There are the stars you fully appreciate while you’re watching them. And there are the stars you learn to appreciate later.

The first group includes players like Willie Mays, Johnny Bench, Mickey Mantle, and other all-timers. But it also includes players that you’re convinced are all-timers at the time, but don’t pan out. And this group hit me right in the feels, because most of them hit at exactly the time when my impressions were being formed: Steve Garvey, Dave Parker, Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly.

And although he didn’t mention them, I feel like Bret Saberhagen, Eric Davis, and Will Clark belong here, too.

The other group includes the ones that you don’t think about as a real star until you have the benefit of hindsight. He lists Craig Biggio, Larry Walker, Edgar Martinez, Alan Trammell, and Mike Mussina. And this feels exactly right to me because I don’t think of any of these players as being better than those in the first group. (Barry Larkin is his all-time appreciate-later star, which is how this ended up in the Barry Larkin essay.)

Anyway, just fun thinking about some of the biggest names of my childhood and how I perceived them at the time.

Edit: Also reminded that I was convinced Kurt Stillwell was the better SS than Larkin, and was upset when they traded him. LOL me

4 Likes

It was a 4.7m slot allotment for that pick though

Right decision was made obviously

That was the signing bonus and he got just under $24 million for signing with Cardinals instead. It’s ridiculous how long you have to play baseball before you get a shot at those kind of numbers.

1 Like

I met Barry Larkin once. Nice guy.

Anyone else watching The Captain? As someone who lived in NYC and was a semi-Yankees fan for a decent chunk of Jeter’s career I was hoping for some decent insights, but so far it’s been all bland surface-level stuff that is already common knowledge. Feels like even A-Rod and Jeter are playing nice, so doubt we get any real drama.

1 Like

i loved the 1st episode. missed the 2nd installment. think it was last night

His background, parents, all that in depth stuff was brilliant

world peace unlocked if everyone watches it lol

1 Like

Watching the O’s —Yankees at Camden Yards on a warm, summer evening.

7 Likes

Chip Caray seriously just asked if the Angels might trade Ohtani at the deadline on the Braves home call.

2 Likes

lol Red Sox

1 Like

gjge Sox

https://twitter.com/bluejays/status/1550638166775926785?s=21&t=l3OnoBW-fZ8O41sXGeScRw

5 Likes

Saw somewhere on Twitter that Boston is waiting for 28-3 to begin their comeback.

5 Likes

stoked for the 2nd half of the season

How is this not an error?

balls lost to lights or suns aren’t charged with an error because the error is on the lights/suns and those aren’t in the lineup

unless ordinary effort would’ve caught it and the scorekeeper is pissed off that day

here, it hit the back of the warning track, not impossible he still doesn’t get it

idk man I don’t make the rules, the CF blew it at any rate

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1550655565440995335

1 Like

Then he stood there with his thumb up his ass.

The guy isn’t vaxxed and therefore most of the fans on the Sox site that I read don’t like him. In the game thread last night everybody was like what the fuck is he doing just standing there - find the fucking ball! The best line was, “he was just doing his own research.”

2 Likes

This. I’ve never seen anything like that. If I was the manager, I would have given him the rest of the game off.