Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Spencer Strider 9 Ks through 3 innings. 54 pitches and counting, tho

and a pop-out

My son got caught once between varsity and American legion one year. And a team Dad that was also a D1 coach says that was a bad call (I didn’t see it).

Insane fast. His one year of JV as a freshman had an outfield alignment where left and right played 20’ off the line. Everything else was his in CF.

Too bad he could not hit the curve. At all. Plus he is only 5-7.

https://twitter.com/BaseballHer/status/1545175155181293572?s=20&t=xg4Pkoe2tvOfsHMztEEqnw

3 Likes

lol - I’m a lefty and I pitched in high school. I had a really good pickoff move and nailed a bunch of guys each season. I drew a 45 degree line on the mound so I would know how much toward home plate I could step (it was faint so the other team wouldn’t notice). My leg kick out of the stretch was always perfectly straight up and down and when I was going to pick someone off, I would a bit of a “max effort” face to make it look like I was going home.

Multiple opposing coaches argued that I balked, but the ump was always like “but nah.”

sup bro

1 Like

If anyone watches this and still takes people who compare this guy to THE BABE or that other donk from 1890 they love to jerk off to seriously then major LOL.

He’s the best player of all time and he’s not even (close to) the best player on his own team!

1 Like

another game, another walk off

ok fine i went to the game on monday where they lost 8-2 but still 4 of 5 walk offs is pretty good!

1 Like

I’m okay with Ohtani on every team. Don’t like the other two ideas. I think the game is playing better this season with a slightly deader baseball. I haven’t seen any numbers, but it feels like its moving a bit faster. Not sure how MLB ever thought they’d get more offense and shorter games at the same time. I’d like to see quick pitches being allowed or even encouraged. Why do umps hold up play until the batter is “ready”. Unless he fouls one off his foot, he needs to be ready at all times.

Doesn’t seem to be much difference in game length if this chart is to be believed.

I still think the game is playing more like it should this season. It may take a while for the game length to be reduced, and as I mentioned, there should be ideas to do that without a pitch clock. Put a clock on the batter. If he steps out for more than five seconds, then the pitcher gets a free pitch. Similar to a free throw in basketball. Something.

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I think the juiced ball is 100% responsible for all of the problems we’ve seen in the game over the past few years. Players swung for fences and were rewarded. They didn’t care as much about striking out, so they struck out. Pitchers needed to nibble. They gave up more walks. They couldn’t pitch to contact because contact went over the fence. So it takes them 100 pitches to get through five innings. More offense means more blowouts. How could it not? Anyway, deadening the ball seems to be a net positive this season.

1 Like

I agree they should keep messing with the rules and see what works. Chaotic baseball is way, way more fun than K/BB/HR baseball. The so-called purists can never be appeased, and generally don’t know the history of the game. They think old records set when baseball was played “the right way” are sacrosanct, but the rules and conditions of baseball have changed constantly and the fixed tradition of baseball is largely an illusion. The old ball parks were messy asymmetric messes, they didn’t let black people play for half of baseball history, they played the 80s on concrete covered in carpet, etc.

We need more ball parks with weird dimensions.

Bring back the hill and flagpole in Houston.

1 Like

more wild animals imo

baseballtiger

2 Likes

If they removed commercials that would cut 40 minutes right there

1 Like

With no one on base, batter should not be able to leave the batters box. Only with permission of the HP ump (for strict criteria). Watch some older games on youtube. Pitchers got it and threw it. Batter stayed in there.
Personally, I blame Nomar Garciappara. Afaik he started the whole adjust batting gloves after every pitch thing.

Nah, the pioneer here was The Human Rain Delay more than a decade earlier…

2 Likes

Every time I see an Angels highlight…

https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1545598982952366082

4 Likes

6 in a row the March to .500 starts