Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I want to see the Angels in the postseason

I went to a miserable Red Sox game on Mother’s Day, Enrique Hernandez is up, I yelled out something like “Let’s go Kiké!” pronounced Key-Kay.

A woman in front of me turns around and says “It’s Key-Key - know your players.”

I was shocked speechless. I kept thinking, “Am I the wrong one?” Been a fun running joke with my wife and kid - one of us will say a name correctly and the others mispronounce it and say “Know your players.”

Mother’s Day is a great day to buy cheap secondary tickets. Sox let Kids/Mothers run the bases. I got to walk the warning track, which, honestly it was embarrassing how thrilled I was just to do that.

1 Like

lol wut, it’s definitely kee-kay?

edit: wikipedia confirms, along with two fun facts!

1 Like

I knew it was Key-Kay, but the lady was so adamant it really took me like 5 minutes (and hearing other people say Kee-Kay) before I was certain. I had flashbacks to a college class has a freshman where I mispronounced hyperbole (said hyper-bowl).

1 Like

I don’t know man the kind of person who feels the need to turn around and lecture strangers in public about this kind of stuff is seldom wrong.

3 Likes

I mean, isn’t this why phones and google were made? To embarrass strangers?

Omg. Is anyone watching this? Reid Detmers no hit bid thru 8. Game not close so TB brings in Brett Phillips to pitch B8. It goes bomb to Trout, near bomb to Ohtani (2B), then Rendon takes the fist LHB AB of his career for a monster shot to deep right center. Wtf?

2 Likes

Was watching. Crazy stuff.

So weird my gut reaction was that I was getting trolled with some doctored video prank on this stream and had to check a live box score to make sure it was real.

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1524237797728690176

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1524238732605497346

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1524240926608134145

3 Likes

Don’t they announce the name of players as they go up to the plate?

I mean kinda hard to fuck up a name if you heard less than a minute ago.

Red Sox won a game last night.

Rest of the league shivering in their boots.

2 Likes

They might announce him as Enrique. I’m honestly not sure, I tune that out.

It’s been an overall positive - my kid had a game on Tuesday. I didn’t realize they made a pitching change and called out the wrong name. My wife whispered to me “Know your players!”

Fun little stat from today: Christian Yelich became the sixth player in MLB history to hit for the cycle three times. He’s the only one, though, to have all three against the same team (Reds).

1 Like

Fun related fact via Posnanski: The Reds would need to pitch ONE HUNDRED AND TWO consecutive scoreless innings to get out of last place in ERA.

Baseball needs more fun shit like this. It absolutely makes the game more enjoyable. It’s not about respect or disrespect. I’d be willing to bet very few fans de-rated or turned the channel after this. Unfortunately some stayed or tuned in looking for a plunking of of a batsman.

Knuckleballers should be dead now. The game is too home run heavy for the knuckleball to be sustainable.

Yeah point at that one R.A. Dickey season followed by him getting his ass kicked for the rest of his career.

Apparently purists hate this but I’m fine with it. What blows my mind is how many position players can get out of an inning either unscathed or with minimum damage just tossing meatballs. Last two games I attended (@CLE, @CHC) featured position players pitching, one of which was a utility infielder with a pretty spicy pitch mix.

I gotta know if the below is true or just home team bias.

Logan Webb is one of the top 3 starters in the league

I’m going with home team bias.

2 Likes