Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Is this because hitters just go up there hacking for big HRs because they already have a big lead? If you put a position player in for the bottom of the 9th in the World Series in a tie game, would hitters be more “serious”? I really don’t know.

I think it’s two factors. One is that even though these are easier pitches to hit, it’s way outside the norm for adjustments they’re used to making. Seeing 95 mph then 70 mph is a significant adjustment to make instantaneously. If they warmed up on 70 mph or took multiple ABs they’d crush it harder. Also, Bret Phillips in this video is particularly bad as a pitcher, and this seemed like more of a team joke or something. Obviously some position players pitched in high school (maybe college) and were pretty good. The other is just that the nature of BABIP and baseball in general tends to favor the defense. For example, in the HR Derby, they still make a lot of outs under the absolutely most favorable conditions to the hitter.

there was some reliever briefly after that but I forgot his name

reality is, it’s too slow, hitters are too good

but man I’d like to see one try, a lot of the current guys have never seen one

also dickey was 37 that cy young year, he had to fall off, still lasted in mlb at 42

It’s one of my favorite parts of the game. I’ll switch to the package if I see there is position player pitching. Baseball has the perfect tool to make an absolute blow out interesting. It’s fucking fun to watch.

1 Like

Position players pitching has worn out its welcome with me. It’s a cute novelty if you only see it once in a blue moon, but we were seeing it multiple times a week the last few seasons, and it gets old. The only time it’s interesting now is if it’s a close game and a team has literally run out of pitchers. That’s happened a few times, but not very often in the majors. And now with the runner on second rule, it’s almost impossible to see it happen again because games don’t go that long.

1 Like

Add “Pitched a no-hitter and lost” to the Reds list.

(Technically not a no-hitter because they only pitched 8 innings, but still.)

4 Likes

That’s such a stupid rule.

1 Like

JACK MORRIS PITCHED 12 INNINGS EVERY GAME AND THESE BABIES WANT A NO HITTER AFTER 8 INNINGS I DON’T THINK SO MOUSTACHE GRIT

1 Like

Darn skippy. Roar of ‘84.

Ohtani is going to obliterate the Babe’s strikeout numbers. Ruth had 488 career strikeouts. Ohtani currently at 268, projected for 168 more this season.

He doesn’t drink enough booze nor smoke enough cigars to get to 700 homers though.

Man, I saw this and totally thought it meant Hunter Pence was gay:

https://twitter.com/hunterpence/status/1526006915397931008

1 Like

Top 1 Padres at Phillies Cronenworth and Machado get struck out looking and both pitches looked like balls, this should be an interesting game

Did taylor ward consume all the PEDs known to man?

https://twitter.com/foolishbb/status/1526728699256651779?s=21&t=RSJHJpA0XkPuXlLg1epFDA

2 Likes

He has consumed the famous BABIP juice, .460 on balls in play over 117 plate appearances. That … usually does not hold up.

Not with that attitude

6 Likes

His BB% is way up too, about double his “career” rate and substantially higher than projections. But it’s like I was telling someone else who was surprised by his run so far, he was projected to be a really good hitter this year, and this is what the sun running variance of a really good hitter looks like.

1 Like

I’m too high and struggling to interpret what the wanker in the booth is saying on the Braves tv booth.

That’s beloved former Braves reliever Peter Moylan…. He’s quite funny

2 Likes