Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Might be a dead pony…
https://twitter.com/aria_gerson/status/1453163123591065600

1 Like

What just happened? No one was backing up the throw, but also no one was covering the plate? These Astros radio guys suck.

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1453484583995981826

2 Likes

Would anyone be opposed BARVES as the team name?

1 Like

We really need the Braves to win this to mollify the fans who are so pissed off about the All-Star Game and might be super-motivated to vote this time next year.

Lol PETA

https://twitter.com/jesus_jimz/status/1453760093196062722

I remember PETA said the Packers should change their name to the “Pickers,” as in “vegetable pickers.”

Joe Posnanski makes a strong case for renaming them the Atlanta Hammers, and I think I’m on board.

Excerpt:

When the Washington football team changed its name to the Washington Football Team, there obviously wasn’t a universal nickname for them to choose. You heard a lot of possibilities, but none felt right to a supermajority of Washington Football Team Fans. Yes, I do believe that if you pick a name, any name, people will eventually get used to it. The Utah Jazz, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Orlando Magic, the Anaheim Ducks, the Minnesota Wild, the Indianapolis Colts, these and many more are silly names for any number of reasons but eventually you don’t think anything about it.

Still, there was no name that made sense to everybody in Washington.

Cleveland — kind of the same thing. They did settle on the Guardians, which I like but many others despise for the time being, but again the point is that there was no name that just made instant and universal sense.

The Atlanta Hammers makes instant and universal sense.

I actually don’t care what the Atlanta baseball nickname is — whether it’s Braves, Crackers, Black Crackers, Panthers or, my favorite baseball nickname from the 1880s “The Atlanta Atlantas” — they should be the Hammers. This isn’t about changing the name because you HAVE to change it. This should be about changing the name because you WANT to change it, because “Atlanta Hammers” would instantly move to the top of American sports names, because you would sell a bajillion dollars’ worth of merchandise (half of that from me), because you would be honoring the ultimate Atlanta baseball player and gentleman Henry Aaron, because Atlanta is a great American city with incredibly bland and pointless sports nicknames.

I will not be satisfied until a team is renamed the Social Justice Warriors and mandates that all players use they/them pronouns.

I dont mean this as a snarky culture war comment. If I owned a team I would do this just to anger the deplorables.

The Home Depot presents the Atlanta Hammers!

2 Likes

He had me at Atlanta Atlantas.

2 Likes

I say double down with The Atlanta Colonizers. All white uniforms with Supremacy written right across the front.

I guess they could also rebrand the tomahawk chop as a hammer swing…

1 Like

Anybody want to do a mockup of the mascot for the Atlanta Hammers? I like “Atlanta Georgians” or “Atlanta Bombers”.

They have the tool race (like the sausage race) on the jumbotron during games. They’d have to end that because they could never have the hammer lose.

Was this trivia nugget in the book?

Play-by-play announcer Ernie Harwell called Cracker games on the radio from 1943 to 1949 before being traded to Brooklyn Dodgers for catcher Cliff Dapper,[citation needed] the only time an announcer has been traded for a player.

Dunno why it says citation needed because this thing is well-known and cited, for example, here:

Haven’t even started the book unfortunately. My backlog is huge and growing. (That’s what she said?)

This actually makes so much sense… which is why I assume it will never happen. Replace the native american drum beats with a hammer hitting an anvil.

Yeah was wondering where anyone could find the time to read an unabridged-dictionary-sized book. I’ve had this Teapot Dome book sitting on my desk for about two years now with the reasoning that looking at it daily would force me into it. Haven’t read a single word of it.

I wonder what odds Vegas would place on: “Spidercrab will eventually read the copy of Inifinite Jest that he’s owned for more than 15 years.”

1 Like