Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Yea how was that legal.

I don’t mind the Astros getting fucked over.

1 Like

Tomorrow is not only an elimination game at Fenway, but it’s also the running of the Boston marathon. Traditionally, the marathon is run on Patriots’ Day, which commemorates the beginning of the Revolutionary War. Also by tradition, the Red Sox always play a game at Fenway with an 11:00 am start.

I’m expecting the Rays to get crushed after running into marathon traffic and road closures, getting to the park late, and having to go to the depleted bullpen early again.

https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1447387829399552003

Wildly the Rays were on the opposite side of the deflected ball a couple of years ago:

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/status/1447389507242938374?s=21

1 Like

That play is arguably even more preposterous given how terrible the fielding attempt is. They have to change this rule and make it something like two bases plus a one-base error.

1 Like

I think the last thing you want is the same refs who think the strike zone is subjective to get more leeway in being subjective.

You are very wrong on it being a bad rule, it might need some update for this century but it’s not a bad rule

The simplest change would be two bases from when the ball makes contact with the fielder. That would usually be three bases since runners would in most situations have already made one base by the time fielder could deflect. But in situations where it goes straight off a fielder, it would still be only two bases (say a line-drive that ricochets right off the first baseman and out of play).

That would also be consistent with how they treat throws into the stands, which seems fair.

1 Like

Throwing the ball in the stands is also two bases. It’s just two bases from when the throw was made (as opposed to a normal ground-rule double, which is two bases from when ball was hit). So, it’s usually two bases if an infielder throws the ball in the stands, but if it’s an OF it’s going to be three bases - since the runners will have usually already advanced a base.

Playoff baseball, man. Never thought I’d be so riveted watching Nick Pivetta.

This is just impossible. The Pham play is an error if the ball does anything except bounce out of play. Instead, not only is it not that, he’s rewarded to the extent that it’s a better outcome than if he had fielded the ball cleanly. It’s the same for Renfroe–if he fields the ball cleanly, the run scores easily and Kiermaier is probably on third. Not only did neither of them field it cleanly, they did a worse thing by booting it into the stands, and yet the result they get is better than if they had played it perfectly. Other than the NFL fumbling out of the end zone insanity, I’m not sure I can think of a more inequitable rule in sports.

1 Like

That seems fair and should probably be implemented for all ground rule / automatic doubles, but it won’t be because baseball loves archaic nonsense and hates scoring.

Holy cow did the Braves fuck up.

Bottom 2, 1 out, runners on first and third. Scoreless game.

Fly ball to left, easily deep enough for the runner at third to score, likely without an attempt to throw home. The runner at first for some reason decided to tag and Yelich threw him out easily at second. The tag (third out) was applied a hair before the runner from third touched home plate, so the run didn’t count.

Yeah. That was Terry Bull. Amazing that players at this level are dumb enough to do stuff like that from time to time.

Similar play from 2019 where Red Sox benefit from an incorrect call on the same wall. This should have been ruled an automatic double in the same manner as the Renfroe play. I don’t believe the play was reviewed though.

1 Like

I think that’s the right call since the ball never hit the ground. It’s like the home run off Canseco’s head or if the ball hit the top of the fence and then bounced into the stands.

Right.

1 Like

Don’t think this matters. Once the ball hits the wall and bounds back toward the field of play, it is no longer “in flight” and is different from the Canseco play. In the Canseco play, the ball is still considered to be in flight (by rule) and could have been legally caught for an out by Canseco or another fielder.

Any fair fly ball

It’s no longer in flight when it caroms off the wall.

lol, you are clowning.