Major League Baseball (Part 1)

By that logic, a ball that hits the top of the wall and then goes out isn’t a home run, because it’s now “bounded” out instead of flown out.

But I actually agree with you, I can’t find a rule that settles the question.

I think it’s because there’s only an interpretation for this and not an actual hard rule (except for park-specific ground rules that may exist):

FLY BALL STRIKING TOP OF OUTFIELD WALL

Rule 5.05(a):

Unless provided otherwise by local ground rule, a fair fly ball striking the top of the outfield wall and bounding back onto the playing field shall be treated the same as a fair fly ball that strikes the outfield wall and rebounds back onto the playing field (in play but may not be caught for the purposes of an out).

Unless provided otherwise by local ground rule, a fair fly ball striking the top of the outfield wall and bounding over the wall shall be ruled a home run.

Unless provided otherwise by a local ground rule, a fair fly ball striking the top of the outfield wall and remaining on the top of the wall shall be deemed a ground-rule double.

So it’s really the nature of the bounding that matters. If it hits the wall and bounds out of play in fair territory, that’s a home run. If the ball does not bound out on its own, then that ball cannot be a home run. Oddly, it appears the cases I’ve found have all been incorrectly ruled as home runs on the field, but stranger, it doesn’t seem like any of them were challenged.

1 Like

Goddamn it makes me sick to watch the white ass fucking Braves fans do the chop. I love me some Freeman and Acuna, but fuck that team.

1 Like

Is this an elite joke? I can’t tell.

https://twitter.com/jesserogersespn/status/1447604947730698249?s=21

Rays got so screwed. Obvious rule going forward should be that it should be the equivalent of throwing a ball out of play. Runners get two bases from where they are at time of throw.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, the Dodgers will win the next two vs. the Giants and go on to win the WS. But I watched Logan Webb dominate in Game 1 while I was drinking wine and putting together IKEA garbage and that’s the last game I will watch in full this season so to me the season ended perfectly.

Wood is no scrub, and has pitched the Dodgers really tough the 3 times he saw them this year. Absolutely no reason to think this is a guarantee for the Dogs tonight.

Plus Webb will go in game 4. I think whoever wins tonight will take the series. Either Giants in 4 or Dodgers in 5

Well, because I love a good reverse jinx, I’ll give you 3:2 if you want. I give you $60 if the Giants win the series, you give me $40 if it’s LAD. Has to be PayPal I think. I will be asleep soon here in Prague, but if you quote with ‘booked’ before game time I will honor. Go Giants!

Your interpretation makes sense, weird though as I’ve never seen it called that way - only recall instances like the ones you posted where it is a homerun after fielder deflects it over the fence (even after hitting wall).

I appreciate it and respect the reverse jinx but I dont bet on sports. Lets go Giants though. Beat them bums

Yeah I don’t recall ever seeing it ruled that way, but it’s also strange that none of these seem to have been challenged. There may be some that exist though if you search hard enough. Here’s a Wil Myers one that’s untouched by a fielder but clearly lands on the very deep top of the wall and bounds back into play. So the bounding part of the rule is applied here.

Note that they changed this to a hard ground rule at Petco as a result of this exact play. You can find it here:

1. Ball striking the top of the right field videoboard wall (including both the padding and concrete portions on the top of the wall), regardless of whether it continues into the stands, stays on the top of the wall or rebounds onto the playing field: a. Batted ball in flight: Home Run. b. Batted bounding ball or thrown ball: Out of Play.

So here we have an example of a park-specific ground rule that takes priority.

strike zone in boston is HUGE tonight
Hope everyone has the under

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1447702703837261829

New pitcher and the strike zone has shrunk for the Rays.
Computer can’t come soon enough

Game over. Off to MNF

Counterpoint: Red Sox Bullpen

Wow, what a throw.

Maybe close that right field gap, guys.