Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Clearly you haven’t watched him

None of those pitches would have landed on home plate for a strike.

That would be the eephus pitch:

What a terrible idea to pitch to him.

I’m well aware of these pitches. The catcher still caught or tried to catch all of those pitches. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about pitchers manipulating the strike zone by having the ball physically land on home plate. The robot would “see” the pitch in the strike zone and call it a strike. No human umpire would ever call a ball that landed on the plate a strike.

I don’t think there’s any rule that say a strike can’t hit home plate.

Hmmm. Not sure that’s true, but admittedly, I’m not an expert in robotic umpiring. My initial concern is about how the message of whether its a ball or a strike conveyed. Is a message instantly sent to the ump who then has to relay it? Or does some device near home plate light up? Does the robo-ump still call balls and strikes on balls that are hit? Does it call foul tips or would that still be the job of the home plate ump? What happens when there’s an obvious malfunction and the machine is calling far off pitches strikes?

7 Likes

The correct way is a huge video screen going all over the field that turns green or red according to the ruling

1 Like
We will have robo umps in the next 5 years
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

We will have robo umps in my lifetime
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

i’m not sure why the idea is called a robo-ump. makes it sound like a rd2d mother fucker walking around saying ‘ball’ in a robot voice.

just automate the process of looking at the goddamn square on television and saying ‘ya that was a ball’

Ah but the strike zone isn’t a square, it’s a pentagonal prism.

just automate the process of looking at the goddamn pentagonal prism.

1 Like

Voted yes, assuming “we will have robo umps in the next 5 years” is not specific to MLB. I’m sure some minor league or offshoot league will give it a chance.

I was assuming MLB only.

Can minor league and/or higher level independent leagues afford this technology? (I have no idea how cheap or expensive this would be to implement)

Related question, would implementing the technology actually take an ump off the field? I was going to say “yes, they can afford it because they’ll obviously just remove the home plate ump” but upon reflection I don’t think that’s true–I think that ump is still important for calls at the plate.

I’m not sure how feasible it is to throw a ball with the speed, angle, or spin necessary to have it cross the front of the plate in the zone and then hit the plate. And if you could, why? Its slow pitch softball at that point.

1 Like

It’s already been tried in minor leagues.

No. Home plate umps still make all the other rulings that go into an at-bat. They just get help with ball/strike calls.

If there’s an obvious error on the system’s call (the wrong call on a bounced ball for example), the umpire is allowed to override and make his own call.

These poor baseball players not able to apply sunscreen in domed stadiums or night games.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DALLASBRADEN209/status/1404852222102446080

Here’s a screen shot of what he quoted.