Major League Baseball (Part 1)

It’s silly on the surface. “Congratulations, you’ve hit the ball over the fence, one of the more difficult feats in professional sports. Now in order for it to officially count, you must jog 360 feet in a square, touching each corner. You are in no jeopardy while this happens, the opposing team must watch. You can take as much time as you want but if you are perceived as going too slow you will take a fastball to the chin later. A below average intelligence 4 year old can handle this. If you screw it up we negate the accomplishment.” But it’s fun.

2 Likes

Virginia came out of the losers bracket to win its regional today to move on to the super regionals. In both of the final games, they beat top seed (in the regional) Old Dominion. In the first game against ODU, Virginia pitchers got 24 of the 27 outs via strikeout. In today’s clincher, Virginia’s starting pitcher threw four shutout innings after having only pitched two innings in two seasons. He then hit the walkoff homer in the 10th.

On April 1, they were 4-12 in the ACC. Finished at 18-18.

1 Like

It wasn’t even caught by the umps or anything. The Dodgers challenged and they went to reply to determine if the end of his shoe touched the plate or not.

The equivalent I can think of is declaring the 8 ball when it’s 99% in the pocket and every person in the universe knows where you are aiming. But also you did declare it, the opponent challenged that you did not pronounce the ‘T’ in ‘pocket’.

If he even gets close enough to create a sliver of doubt they aren’t overturning.

It’s not that you have have to run the bases it’s that you get to. It’s a little celebration, and I like it. It would be weird if the hitter just wandered back into the dug out. But of course Yuv is right about the rest.

That’s actually the way it’s supposed to be done I think, aside from the replay part. The umps don’t automatically call a guy out for missing a base. The umps ignore a missed bag unless the defense appeals.

I’ve seen a kid in Babe Ruth reach out and take an intentional ball yard.

I’m not suggesting the umps got it wrong. I’m suggesting the rule is silly. It’s a ceremonial thing.

1 Like

He probably should have been called out for stepping out of the batter’s box.

Yeah I’ve thought about it and don’t remember if he stepped out. The pitch might have been that far in.

Not a fan of the rule but I also wouldn’t equate those two rules. The bases are a huge element of the game.

Apparently this happened today too. I think it’s a great idea for Baseball to start cracking down on this important part. Kids don’t watch baseball anymore because they can’t stand missed home plates.

Yeah, I think Witt stepped on home plate. Either way, this is one of baseball’s inane and unnecessary rules. If someone misses a base during a home run trot, who cares? There’s no advantage to be gained and it’s not an unfair play. Stepping on the bases isn’t too much to ask, I know, but this seems overly petty.

Thinking about it, it’s basically the same thing as a kid dropping the ball at the 1 with nobody around him running into the end zone.

The whole point of the game is circling the bases to score runs so you gotta touch the bag.

1 Like

Wait until you find out what happens to golfers who forget to sign their scorecards.

1 Like

Yea how the hell did he not step on home?

https://mobile.twitter.com/nwanaturals/status/1402441494464696323

How does that score exactly, 3b- FC 1-2?

That’s a pretty good analogy too tbh.

They should change the rule so that if the fans throw it back on the field the ball is considered in play.

2 Likes

Baseball has all kinds of dumb procedures and rules for every nitty situation you can think of.

We can’t get robo umps though cause we need to keep the human element to make bad calls on all those rules.

THE UNWRITTEN RULES ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT MATTER THOUGH! I ENFORCE THOSE RULES, NOT ROBO UMPIRES!

1 Like

Is Sammy Long better than deGrom?