Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Was watching the Reds game on mlb . com and lasted about 2 innings. I couldn’t stand the radio ads on television. Too much work to turn down the volume every 5 minutes.

In the Giants/Dodgers game, Cueto reminds me of Luis Tiant. He seems to be balking on every other pitch though.

Also, Carl Yastrzemski’s grandson is playing in the game. I’m very old.

Throwing out guesses:

1. Yes if there is a suspended game made up later.
  1. Yes if they come in as reliever.
  2. No
  1. Two
  1. Ground rule double

I’m a very casual MLB fan these days. Is Cueto the guy who used to be on the reds? If so I’ve seen him pitch live and he definitely mixes up his delivery to the plate drastically from pitch to pitch, I guess to keep batters off balance. Some look decidedly balk-y, like he basically stops and pauses mid leg kick. I kind of hate baseball as a spectator sport these days, but one redeeming quality is there are still all of these weird player quirks/superstitions and archaic rules.

1 Like

Cueto is awesome.

You can’t balk if there’s no one on base.

1 Like

Please explain how suspending a game would allow the same pitcher to get both a win and a loss in that game.

Ding, ding, ding we have another winner. MLB rule 9.18: “No pitcher shall be credited with pitching a shutout unless he pitches the complete game, or unless he enters the game with none out before the opposing team has scored in the first inning, puts out the side without a run scoring and pitches the rest of the game without allowing a run.”

This is incorrect.

There have been three triple headers in the major leagues: in 1890, 1896, and 1920. Since then triple headers have been banned. Baseball counts suspended games, and games that go past midnight, as happening solely on the day the game was started. So the current answer for how many games can be officially played on a calendar date is two.

However, welcome to the “dark side” of the rule book.

The Q said “won” not “played”, and said “day” not “date”. Depending on how you feel about those quibbles the answer could be up to six. This source says under the current CBA a suspended game may be completed preceding a double header. Also, baseball records the game date in local time. So, a team could score six winning runs in the same 24 hour period… complete a tie suspended game before a doubleheader, travel across the international dateline, then complete another tie suspended game before another doubleheader.

This is incorrect in general.

If the pitcher is traded to the opposing team between the day the game starts and the day the game resumes.

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1286632257076289536

9 Likes

Ding ding ding we have another winner. This is more of what I am calling the “dark side”. Players have appeared on both teams in the same game, and in different games on the same date (non-doubleheader) this way.

An example: home starting pitcher Joe goes until the game is suspended 0-0 at the middle of 5th. Joe is then traded to the visiting team. Upon completion, Joe enters the game for the visiting team, and gives up the only run of the game in the bottom of the 5th.

ETA: corrected example.

If the pitcher was taken out of the game by Team A before the delay, is he available for Team B in this scenario?

Good Q. I’d WAG yes because “why not?”. This would also work for any position. Hint: this same “dark side” figures into Q#11 too.

The only constraint I can think of is that baseball teams submit lineup cards at the beginning of the game. I think MLB must have a rule for what to do about games resumed at a later date. Like if you have a player injured in between.

So for Q11:

Pitcher pitches to batter and gets 2 strikes.
Game is delayed.
Pitcher is traded to opposing team.
Game is resumed.
Previous batter is removed from game in some manner.
Pitcher (now on new team) is inserted as a pinch hitter and strikes out.

Is this it? (I feel like I gotta be close)

Another good “dark side” Q is this: players are routinely traded while in the process of actually playing a game, and the protocol has been to immediately remove such players from that game. This would… kinda sorta… imply that if they were traded to the other team in that particular game, they could immediately re-enter that game for their new team.

Of course, the umpires could (plausibly IMO) rule such a move “making a travesty of the game” and just say no.

Ding ding ding another winner. Counts of 0-2, 1-2 and 2-2 all work.

Example: Bumgarner has a 0-2 count on Machado when the game is suspended. Then Bumgarner is traded to the Padres, and Machado is injured. On resumption Bradley replaces Bumgarner for the snakes, while newborn friar Bumgarner pinch hits for Machado… and takes the 3rd strike looking. Bumgarner just recorded a strikeout pitching for the Diamondbacks -and- a strikeout batting for Sabo’s Padres.

So, the hated Yankees win the season opener in this very short season… and their chances of winning the World Series go significantly down.

Because, of course, they eliminated the first round playoff byes. This was only announced after that game had ended. Now we are odds-on having losing teams, that won less than 30 games, getting into the playoffs. Previous records for lowest winning percentage to make the playoffs: 1973 Mets (82-80 .506) & Sabo’s 2005 Padres (same). Previous record for least wins qualifying for the playoffs: 1981 Royals (30-23 2nd half) & 1981 Expos (same, same half).

ETA: Also for the first time ever, teams can be eliminated by tie-breakers in MLB.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1286697921463844865

Mets with a beastly lineup

1 Like

And now we got the Blue Jays in Buffalo.

This is the fourth major league team based in Buffalo… the NL Bisons 1879-1885, the Players League Bisons in 1890 and the Federal League Blues 1914-1915.

2 Likes

Is it too early to complain about the Mets NEVER SCORING FOR DEGROM

2 Likes

Mets lead!

I like them this year, even without Thor

Nimmo needs to stay healthy, and apart from deGoat, the starters need to produce. Bullpen looks good. Expect Diaz to be better after whatever that poor year-1 was last year. The lineup is stacked.

2 Likes