Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Dodgers should have a couple W.S.

Cardinals luck boxed their way to beating them a few times in the playoffs.

I say this as a die hard Cardinal fan.

This is ridiculous, just shut it down already. Every new Jays development just shows how insane the whole idea is.

1 Like

Maybe the Jays can play in the NHL.

1 Like

It sure complicates things when one team is from a country that acknowledges reality.

2 Likes

Are you talking defense or all around? I think Beltre was probably just as good at his peak. Chipper as well if you’re talking total package, although yeah Rolen was significantly better on D.

I predict Judge, Stanton and Aaron Hicks will play a combined -14 games this year. That’s right, they’ll travel back in time and unplay games from 2017.

2 Likes

Mainly defense, he could hit ok too.

The Blue Jays can just play using Strat-O-Matic.

5 Likes

Not sure if you’re just being sarcastic, but Rolen was beyond excellent at the plate as well. He spent his whole prime never having a season with OPS+ under 120.

Dont get me wrong I think he’s a clear HOFer. He’s also a text book example of how to be underrated - he generated a lot of value doing the “below the radar” things like defense, walks, doubles. Also regularly missing games suppressed his counting stats so he lacked eye popping accumulation stats or signature seasons.

1 Like

The ok about the hitting was a little sarcasm. But his defense was unreal.

One of my favorite all time players.

2 Likes

Piling on a little just because Beltre’s career really blows my mind.

Rolen is a terrific defender who had one season with dWAR over 2. Adrian Beltre has seven.

Beltre is basically what Rolen would have been had Rolen not been injury prone. He was really that good.

1 Like

I don’t understand why I can’t see these games. MLB Network?

Yeah me too. The 1990s was my personal peak of love for baseball (my late teens and early 20s and I was a Braves fan!) and I watched a lot of Rolen in his early days in Philly.

That is insane, I never realized Beltre was that dominant on the defensive side.

Heh I’ve been a Braves fan since the Superstation has existed. The names Dale Murphy, Bob Horner, Bruce Benedict and Rafael Ramirez will always remind me to appreciate the 1990s because by god there were the 1980s and those were so bad.

1 Like

Yeah I think all of us that followed baseball knew he was good but if you believe that dWAR count then Adrian Beltre is an all time great. His BBall Reference career WAR is top 30 of all time, and well ahead of some luminaries like Griffey Jr and DiMaggio.

I was a relatively poor kid, like I actually grew up in a trailer park. We couldn’t afford the good cable with TBS until I was 12, in 1990. I started watching the Braves and was like “Hey, they suck but these Smoltz and Glavine kids seen to have potential and Ron Gant and David Justice are awesome!” Then 1991 happened and I was hooked.

1 Like

For those of us who grew up with those 80s Braves teams the 90s were redemption time. That highway robbery in the 91 series was particularly soul crushing.

1991 WS was so epic. My family moved to Minny in 1990, so i wasn’t a full blown Twins fan yet.

Both teams had the worst records in their respective leagues the season before.

Kirby’s catch to end game 6 and send it to game 7.

Jack Morris 10 inning performance in game 7. Which would never happen now.

Hrbek pulling Gant off the bag and getting that out…yeah I can’t imagine the fan emotions being on the other side of that.

2 Likes

I think Bumgarner could’ve pitched 10 innings during the Giants playoff runs. I think it’s possible something like that could happen in a Game 7. Really narrow set of circumstances and guys who would be allowed to do it.

1 Like