Major League Baseball (Part 1)

The answer should be Bumgarner on some random in 2016, but there were other fun cases apparently

In May 2009, Tampa Bay’s Andy Sonnanstine wound up batting third in the Rays’ lineup, but only because manager Joe Maddon accidentally listed two third basemen on his lineup card, causing his club to lose the DH. Sonnanstine got Maddon off the hook with an RBI double. In 1999, Indians manager Mike Hargrove mixed up Manny Ramirez and Alex Ramirez on his lineup card, which also led to the loss of the DH and Charles Nagy batting seventh, from where he went 0-for-2.)

Other useless trivia - ohtani was the first pitcher to bat 2nd since 1903

unsurprisingly he’s also the first pitcher to hit a homerun in the AL since the DH was introduced in 1973.

you have got to be fucking kidding me.

Casty gets more punishment for flexing and walking away than the Astros for cheating their way to a WS.

What a fucking joke.
https://twitter.com/m_sheldon/status/1379119747040706564?s=20

Here’s a nice breakdown of the incident by Trevor Bauer (who thinks the initial HBP that started the whole thing was intentional):

1 Like

Three Cardinals were also fined. The suspension is over the top. Especially considering when Yadi came in to get in between them, he initiated contact with Castellanos and the umpire. I don’t think anyone is watching a 28 minute long youtubez when it can be summarized succinctly like this:

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1378465730799226880

The whole “hitting people because they flipped a bat and disrespected your honor” is dumb. A lot of the unwritten “rules” in baseball are fucking dumb and detrimental to the game. The problem is, that’s how people learned to play it so it will take a whole nother generation of folks to fix it.

And if you couldn’t tell from my username, I’m a Cardinals fan :joy:

Yeah, but Yadi is untouchable. :unamused:

Casty literally walked away, then talked to Yadi after, and didn’t touch anyone. The ejection was enough, imho.

The sheer hypocrisy of Manfred saying “Let the Kids Play” and then doing shit like this is just mindblowing.

The throwing at people on purpose should end yesterday, but they’ll wait until someone becomes permanently disabled or dies to tell they never saw it coming.

4 Likes

Every team should break as many unwritten rules as possible against the Cardinals, like smiling and failing to wear a monocle.

1 Like

Yeah, basically, a boring “fight” where nothing really happens, the only person who ACTUALLY touches anyone is Yadier Molina but we can’t suspend him because he is an untouchable god, Let The Kids PLay and show emotion except for a Reds player because hahaha who likes them anyway so let’s suspend the guy we already ejected and who was standing off to the side after realizing his mistake and even let Yadi say his piece later.

It was both awesome when he flexed on the guy but also you’re gonna get suspended for standing over someone like that and instigating 100 out of 100 times.

1 Like

which is the problem with baseball and why it’s “dying.”

Honestly, I’m more upset that Yadi, who did more to “instigate” this fight, didn’t get suspended.

https://twitter.com/brown_jason/status/1379129661733662726?s=20

In the MLB the DH must hit for the pitcher, so if you put the pitcher in the lineup, you essentially give up the right to use a DH for the game and play under NL rules.

In high school rules the DH could be for any defensive position so coaches can field their top 9 and hit their top 9, which sometimes means the left fielder or some other random position doesn’t hit. It can get kind of wonky in substitution situations.

The NCAA is even weirder where pitchers can also be the DH and can be subbed out of one or the other spots.

You’re hiring an attorney for a traffic ticket? I know it’s the wrong thread, but that seems like a lot.

My dad beat my sister’s ticket once because he hired an attorney. The cases with attorneys got to go first, so the ticket was dismissed when the officer didn’t show. The officer walked in just as the protagonists were walking out.

My last ticket was a $70 fine and $30 for an online traffic school to get out of any points. I have a hard time imagining an attorney would be less than $100 and I might still lose. Weigh the costs and benefits and/or take a principled stand I guess.

ALWAYS hire a lawyer for a ticket. The lawyer will fight it for you in court, and a lot of times you don’t even have to be there. It might be 2 or 3x more expensive than just paying the ticket but 99% of the time it’s worth it because you won’t get any points and your insurance company won’t find out and raise your insurance.

The court doesn’t care. They just want their money. Always fight your ticket, I’m telling you. The lawyer will settle for something that doesn’t put points on your license.

1 Like

Considering what a ticket can do to a teenager’s insurance rates? Not the worst idea ever

If the Birds can figure out Jorge Lopez, that’d be great. He’s tough to hit when he’s on. Career 6.00 ERA

Wow the team that’s starting their season 4 days after everyone else can’t hit who would have guessed fuck you MLB fuck you Nationals fuck you Manfred

who has two thumbs, a severe case of vertigo and missed the deadline on draftkings by 0.0001 sec and now have 100% mets stack?

They’re swinging and missing at 92 mph FBs