Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Cleveland Steam Engines IMO

Cleveland Flaming Effluent

Could have just changed the mascot to Kamala Harris.

Cleveland Slappies OBVIOUSLY

The Cleveland Post-Industrial Wastelanders

1 Like

In my OOTP games I always change them to the Cleveland Spiders (which I think was the name of the ML-level Cleveland baseball team back in the 19th century). I like the sound of it and the logo possibilities.

(The Braves become the Atlanta Hammers in my worlds too).

ETA: confirmed the Spiders thingie:

1 Like

The Perch
Flaming Rivers
The Lakers
The Bronnies

Boy, on the Brewers board I frequent, enough people showed their asses in the Cleveland name thread that mods shut it down after less than two pages.

The worst non-racist take (which was written alongside a racist take) was:

As for the many suggested new names, Spiders is a no go/ hard pass for me. That was a NL club (different franchise) before the AL Indians were founded under a different name over 100 yrs ago. Why would I want to root/ bring back a name that had the historically worst team in the history of all baseball (1899 season, 20w & 134L in a single season)

There’s literally nobody alive who was around for that 1899 season, nor anybody who gives a fuck.

1 Like

Here was another baffling response:

I wonder how Native Americans feel about this. I say this with perspective that my daughter chose Denver Broncos as her favorite NFL team simply because horses. I realized her uncle on mother’s side did that as well seeing he had no other ties to Colorado or Denver. (Originally from New Mexico)
I would think numerous Native Americans then chose their favorite team because the name Indians or Chiefs. We take their land and now we’re taking their sports team to root for. Because pc groups are offended by the belief that should be offensive to that culture.

Yes, I bet Native Americans are so infantile that they root for Cleveland because they are called the “Indians.”

1 Like

I would pick Social Justice Warriors but what do I know.

1 Like

lol this comment is soooo good

Spiders is a terrible team name but I guess better than The Indians.

Just leave it. The Cleveland.

Fuck you trolly

The Ohio State Baseball Team.

1 Like

All right, I take it back, @Trolly
How about the Ohio Players?

Wow this is big.

https://www.mlb.com/news/negro-leagues-given-major-league-status-for-baseball-records-stats

1 Like

I think Hank Aaron had 9 home runs in the Negro Leagues. That would bump him up to 764, 2 more than Bonds.

Unfortunately it’s for 1920-1948 and Aaron played in 1952. Would’ve been a pretty epic twist to have Aaron put back on top of the all-time home run list.

2 Likes

Bonds would come out of retirement and hit 30

1 Like