Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Sabo’s Padres or the Rays should win. Since this covid compromised campaign is a -zero- for live fans in the stands and bars, it will never really count as “the first”. Only these two teams can then still go on to have a “real the first”.

I’d be just another brick-n-da-wall for the other teams… the 28th brick for the Yankees. Why bother?

1 Like

Year SD Padres vs… Field(s) Series
1940 LA Angels (4-3) Lane, LA Wrigley PCL semi-final
1942 LA Angels (4-3) Lane, LA Wrigley PCL semi-final
1949 Hollywood Stars (4-2) Lane, Gilmore PCL championship
2020 LA Dodgers (1-0) Globe Life MLB quarter-final

As I mentioned, this rivalry transcends the majors. This marks the fourth time Padres have faced LA postseason. Considering the esteem the PCL was held in during the 1940s; considering this is a covid compromised campaign; considering it was the only series with a championship at stake… the 1949 series could still be considered the hugest one of them all.

image Lane Field, San Diego

giphy

lol

https://twitter.com/rickeyblog/status/1314295807735066624?s=21

2 Likes

With no major league baseball team existing west of St. Louis, the PCL was unrivaled for American west coast baseball… the league voted to become a major league… In 1952, the PCL became the only minor league in history to be given the “Open” classification, a grade above the Triple-A level… an act toward the circuit becoming a third major league.

Broadway, San Diego, 1954-9-13

However, the hugest of all that is Padres-vs-LA could well be a regular season game. In which, as I’m desperately trying to conger up the same for Sabo’s Padres tonight… San Diego actually beat LA, by a score of 7-2.

Of course, it wasn’t a ‘regular’ regular season game. By the mid-50s the PCL was a minor league almost in name only. For the 1954 campaign, the PCL awarded their Pennant (championship) to the team with the best regular season record. The Padres and Hollywood Stars both finished the schedule with 101-67 records.

The game on 1954-9-13 was extra-‘regular’ in that (a) it was the first televised baseball game in San Diego, and (b) it was an unscheduled ‘Game #169’ for all the marbles. Three days later, the victorious Padres got a parade down Broadway…

Broadway, San Diego, 1954-9-16

1 Like

I’ll be happy with Houston/ATL or TB/Atl

Boone is a moron, Britton dealing and he brings in Chapman mid inning, just don’t. Also he seems to be in the fleece over face camp, why fucking bother man.

Rough day for teams Yuv :(

The ordinary answer is three of course… only three outs count in an inning. There is no “dark side” in play here, just an exceedingly rare situation called the “fourth out”. In these situations, an extra out made replaces a previous out made. So the answer hinges on the semantics of “can be made”. YMMV. The canonical version of the fourth out is…

Two outs. Runners on 2nd & 3rd going on the pitch. Batter grounds to 3B, then the runner from 3rd touches home, then 3B tags the runner from 2nd (3rd out), then 3B throws the ball to 1st, beating the batter (4th out). The 4th out replaces the 3rd out, and no run is scored.

According to today’s Wikipedia, this has never actually happened, but the rule has come into play four times since 1989. In practice, this has taken a fuck-up. With that in mind, there could be up to six outs made in an inning…

Bases loaded, two outs. Both teams fuck-up and think there are no out. The batter hits a ground ball. The runner from 3rd touches home. The runner from 2nd touches 3rd and is tagged out at home (3rd out). The runner from 1st touches 2nd,3rd and is tagged out at home (4th out). The batter misses 1st, touches 2nd,3rd and is tagged out at home (5th out). The defensive team appeals the batter missing 1st (6th out). No run scores.

The remaining unanswered baseball rules trivia are below. Warning: the dark side of the rule book is in play.

• #5. What happens if the batter due up is on base?
  • #12. There’s a few… name a football like penalty in baseball.
  • #14. What happens if both managers refuse to announce their lineup first?
  • #20B ~NEW~. Outdoor stadium, night game, no overhanging gear… a fly ball is hit over the height of lights… it doesn’t land on the field of play, nobody sees it come down, nobody spots it on the ground afterwards. It just goes up… and never “comes down”. What happens?
2 Likes

@Sabo I don’t know the answer maybe I already asked. What happens if the home plate ump sneezes or gets a bug in his eye or something as the pitch is being delivered so he has no idea if it was a ball or strike?

He’d have one of the other umpires call it. That’s what they do now on appeal for check swings.

Back in the early early days of baseball before mass adoption of fielding gloves and catcher protective gear, the catcher would station himself far enough behind the plate so that the pitch could bounce and lose velocity before being corralled. Because of that and there being only 1 umpire, he would call balls and strikes from behind the pitcher’s mound.

In MLB in the early 1900s once catcher protective equipment had been adopted, they would also play games with only 1 umpire. He’d call balls and strikes from behind the plate until there was a runner on base. Then he would move to stand behind the pitcher’s mound and call balls and strikes from there. Because the ump couldn’t keep his eyes on everything, especially when balls were hit into the outfield, it was common occurrence for base runners to “cut the corner” while rounding 3B, and to tag up early on fly outs.

1 Like

Low MiLB uses two man umpire crews. This still happens when one of the umps has to leave the game.

Early hook for Cole, Boone will regret it. Yankees offense lifeless and their BP has little depth.

Intense stuff

wow

1 Like

If you ever want to know what is going to happen in a postseason Yankees game after the 5th or 6th inning, just ask me.

1 Like

i dunno much about baseball, but that at bat was really awesome

2 Likes

Great game!!

1 Like

horray, i got a team to root for against the forces of evil